Anyone still interested in a trip to the Ripley's Aquarium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raven C

Reaction score
We talked about arranging a trip to the Ripley's Aquarium in Myrtle Beach for February. Is anyone still interested I have to contact them again to get the group price and to set a date.

What dates would be best?

We can arrange to test gear at a shop I visit up there. Or if you prefer we can check to see if there is a charter outing. It may be cold for some though.

What's your pleasure? I suggest a tour of the aquarium complete with behind the scenes and a dinner gathering this time around. No diving just social. Remember were going to arrange a wreck dive in March and we already have a Gennie trip in the works for April. R

I certainly hope that the aquarium in Myrtle Beach treat their sand tiger sharks better than the Riplsy's aquarium in Gatlinberg, TN. WHile they had divers in the tank cleaning they had 'safety' divers with big sticks to keep the sand tigers from the divers working. Although I have been assured by the director of animal husbandry for Ripley's that the sharks are not injured and that it is necessary to do this, I stil don't like it and personally wil lnever go to another Ripley's attraction of any kind ever again.

Myabe you can let us know how things are at this one. Or bring up how they handle the sharks while divers are in the water during your behind the scenes tour.

Too me it just adds to the fact that sharks have a bad reputation and that they should be feared. I thought aquariums were supposed to educate folks, not add to the bad ep that sharks have gotten over the past couple of years. Also the aquarium in Gatlinberg, I didn't think, have enough info on the types of fish in the tanks. Some displays didn't have the fish id'd at all. And I thought it was pretty small for the prize.

Ok thanks for letting me vent!

Wendy:
Ok thanks for letting me vent!

Feel better? :D

I remember you mentioning that before. I definately hope to find this not an issue in Myrtle Beach. I've been there a couple times, unfortunately my visits were brief but I didn't see anything bad.

I agree that aguariums should do more to educate, especially those in the tank. I know the Charleston, SC Aquarium does a great job with this. While I participated there they only had the best interest of all the creatures there.

R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom