Anyone running 2 knives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alright, another question now. i saw that some of you put ur large knife on your inner left leg. what is the advantage of this over the outter right leg? i do mine on the outter right. is this wrong? i am right hand dominant.
I don't dive a big knife any more, it serves no purpose. When I used to I wore it on the inside of my left leg. Inside so it did not get caught in the kelp, left because I am right handed and that's easier for me to remove and replace.

and exactly why do those dives require a knife 12" in length? If you would have replied with a link of killer sharks I would have been more accepting :shakehead::crafty:

Less than useless for sharks. Leaving sharks alone is far more effective.

A longer blade gives you a better reach and more contact length when cutting rope, line. A big knife is easier (for me) to replace without looking. Dull, blunt point, tap the scabbard side-to-side to feel if you have started it into the scabbard. Big knife, big opening. I use an 8" knife, if it matters, but see the advantages of a larger one. People get way too caught up in psychology when it comes to a big knife. Use what works for you.

The shark comment was a joke. Pick up a pair of shears or continue to give the rest of the divers on the boat a good laugh with your ankle sword. :wink:

I know it seems redundant, but does anyone dive with 2 knives on them? scuba.com is running a special for a BC knife that is $8. so i thought maybe id run a knife on my bp/w setup on my chest, and then my regular 12" knife on my leg. so, thought?

Remember the adage "Two is one, and one is none."

Personally I dive with three CUTTING TOOLS most of the time. A regular knife on my left waist, a z-knife under my computer strap, and a pair of trauma sheers in my pocket.

PS: Do yourself a favor and ditch the 12" knife.

Used a knife 'in anger' this Sat. on the Stolt Dagali. Spider line, -hate the stuff. Shears more precise, outer right knife is faster.

You're diving around here (netting, trap lines, monofilament, etc) with a knife on your leg? Much less on the OUTSIDE of your leg?

:shakehead:

You're diving around here (netting, trap lines, monofilament, etc) with a knife on your leg? Much less on the OUTSIDE of your leg?

:shakehead:

It's the fins, manifold knobs and regs on my back that usually find the entanglement. If my knife gets hung up, -I think I can handle that one. I dive a Z-knife and shears. However, there are times when a longer reach beats twisting around. I also attempt the quick easy fix first, thus the knife. That's all I got, feel free to dismiss me and my knife...

alright, another question now. i saw that some of you put ur large knife on your inner left leg. what is the advantage of this over the outter right leg? i do mine on the outter right. is this wrong? i am right hand dominant.

I wear my knife on the inside of my right leg so the kelp does not get snagged of if I have to drop my weight belt it won't get hung up on it.

Here in SoCal, we deal with kelp significantly more than fishing line or nets. A large knife is invaluable for cutting loose that stuff. I do carry a smaller line cutter on my BC if I'm diving an area that may have more fishing line.

I know it seems redundant, but does anyone dive with 2 knives on them? scuba.com is running a special for a BC knife that is $8. so i thought maybe id run a knife on my bp/w setup on my chest, and then my regular 12" knife on my leg. so, thought?

I was always told never to run with scissors...Never mind TWO KNIVES !!! :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom