Anyone make a good Micro Octopus.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJDevil

Reaction score
looking for a good micro octopus. Mine doesnt seem to really pull air right in fact it requires a bit too much draw to get air. It works but it was also a little on the cheap side.

I didnt know it wasnt that good until during some checkout dives the instructor teaching the class went to get air from it and after surfacing said something. It always worked but I didnt realize it doesnt give that much air when trying to breathe through it.

Link to reviews would also be good.

Im also thinking just get a regular sized octo because I have heard most micros really dont cut it anyway.

Why would you want a micro anyway? Be safe and buy a "regular" 2nd stage... If you want, you can put a yellow hose on it. Cheaping out may seem logical now, but you may regret it in an emergency situation...

Alex

abitton:
Why would you want a micro anyway? Be safe and buy a "regular" 2nd stage... If you want, you can put a yellow hose on it. Cheaping out may seem logical now, but you may regret it in an emergency situation...

Alex

Thats kind of how I am feeling now. I fell for advertising in that a micro will keeps it closer to your body and doesnt interfear. I was a newb.

I will pass on the micro and probably get an Oceanic octo regular size. Have to see what my local dive shop carries.

I find that the hose is actually more of a problem than the actual "octo" itself. I have just switched to a long hose configuration for my primary reg, and my secondary (octo - but which is exactly the same model as my primary) is attached around my neck by surgical tubing.

Before, I could be sure that my octo hose was going to catch on soemthing and unhook the reg from my D-ring, ensuring I'd have to look for it if I needed it.

I'm really not an expert on this, but you should look into this, if you so desire. I'm sure you'll find lots of threads on this topic!!!

Good luck!!

Alex

I prefer the smaller octos myself. Something like the Oceanic Slim line. If doing a regular sized one, I'd say get something adjustable so you can turn it down. I've seen a lot of octos start free flowing since they are not in your mouth, and divers have lost large amounts of air without noticing. That's why one that is a little harder breathing is not that much of a concern to me, and even the smallest regs can be tuned up to give air if you even think about breathing.

But overall, when people are out of air, they are normally not that picky on how good a reg breathes... just so it has air.

If you are going with oceanic I'd also suggest the swivel octo. Ok!,I know it may be another failure point(the swivel) but we've sold literally dozens of them and not one failure yet. Closest thing was when one guy used a surgical cord loop instead of an octo holder, normally no big deal but he surfaced thru about 3 inches of green muck accidentally and really gunked it up. But that was not really an equip failure. It works great in that the swiv seems to aid in keeping it closer in to the body and lays flatter. I have mine on my delta 3 and practice with it regularly at different depths and aside from being a little stiffer it's been great at depths to 100 ft. And it really makes it nice when handing it off and the receiver does not have to mess with turning it and the hose different ways to get it right and seems to be easier for them to hold onto in their mouth.

I find that the tiny octos are really pretty difficult to breathe through, especially in a panic situation where you're huffing and puffing on it pretty good. I recommend a "regular" 2nd stage for your backup regulator.

jonnythan:
I find that the tiny octos are really pretty difficult to breathe through, especially in a panic situation where you're huffing and puffing on it pretty good. I recommend a "regular" 2nd stage for your backup regulator.

A few of my instructors use those compact octos. Having used it when demonstrating alternate air sourse breathing, I certainly don't feel they are even giving me enough air. I also would recommend a "regular" 2nd stage. In my market, those compact octos are actually priced higher than "regular" ones.......................just not sure if it's work that extra dollar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom