Anyone live near or around Hollywood FL??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My wife and I are considering moving to Hollywood FL. How's the diving in this area?? It should beat Oklahoma but only by a little bit. eyebrow Any information you can provide about the area would be greatly appreciated.

CBulla:
There is lots of diving in the area and there are LOTS of dive buddies!! :)

Awesome, I was hoping for some cool people down there. What's the typical viz around? What's normally seen?? I'm just curios. Thanks :D

Oh, plenty of us will come along soon. Hollywood is just south of Ft. Lauderdale; really part of the general metro area.
Hmm. Summary.
Water temps range from 67 at coldest durning winter to 85 or so during summer; viz can range from 5-10 ft. (usually winter, but after the hurricanes, has been pretty icky overall) to over 100 ft. Conditions are like the hurricanes...you just never know.

There are plenty of us around; if you peruse the Conch site enough, you'll notice someone's diving just about every weekend; I'd say we have a true conch dive every month or two. Rum mandatory. Umm, after the dives, of course. Most especially during this frigid winter weather, a nice hot toddy is enjoyed plenty around here. :D

There are tons of dive ops, from Jupiter to the Keys, and plenty of options from 20/30 ft reefs to deep wrecks, and everything in between. Average dives with a charter are 60 ft. reefs, or similar wreck/reef.
Many of us are Nitrox certified, but certainly not all. We're not generally fussy, so long as you're safe, considerate, and fun. :)

Other questions?

Too cool, sounds like we could have a lot of fun down there. I love the rum idea (after diving of course)!!! I'm not nitrox certified yet but will be by the time we get down there. In terms of marine life what's down there i.e . turtles, sharks, fish, jellies etc????
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Quite a few people live in and/or around hollywood. You can expect to see most any fish in any caribbean/florida fish ID book. There's great diving either by beach or by boat.

Thanks for all the info, those sites are really helpful.

I'm still a newbie here in Hollywood, but the diving is close, so that makes it pretty good even when it's bad. I've met lots of neat Conchs and had a ball so far. Two weeks ago, the vis was easily 40 ft + at the Hog Heaven barge site with little current. There were 5 divers on Divers Unlimited's "Diversion" that can hold 20+. My 2 mil jumpsuit was more than enough.

Look at http://www.dixiedivers.com/shipwreck.htm for a great list of sites all along the coast. This has to be the best dive area in the CONUS.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom