Anyone know why DGX has dropped the HOG line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got involved in the recreational dive industry in 1995, at the time virtually every "Sales rep" from the gear companies were teaching the repair class to shops, by the time I became a rep in 2002 it was becoming rare, by 2005 many of the brands had clinics being taught only by the repair folks or in some cases by dealers to other dealers. In the last 8 years or so, more and more shops don't service gear, they send them to one of the many reg repair business's that have popped up all over the country. It's been shocking to me how many dealers don't know how to tune a reg for delivery let alone service it. Of course along with the dumbing down process comes less faith from the consumer and yet we sit around in the dive industry wondering why diving as a industry is collapsing... it never occurred to them that we as a industry aren't adding much if any VALUE or expertise to the consumer so why on earth would they want to open their wallets? plus bitter dealers barely keeping the doors open in a collapsing industry tend not to give great cust. service, so it isn't fun. That kills the "word of mouth" advertising that is basically all the industry can afford.

These issues seem to be ones that a competent dealer/reseller would have addressed upon preparation of the regs for the consumer. I don't care what brand we are talking about, anything right out of the box is suspect. "Dealer Prep", the term frequently used in the Automobile Industry, is a perfect example (and it is even itemized on your purchase contract).

It says more about a distributor/reseller, than the brand......

(Full Disclosure - I own 3 HOG items: a singles wing, a doubles wing, and a mask)

Yes, they do have a very enthusiastic customer base here. :wink:

They are very good regs, and were offered at great prices. Many divers snatched them up, and are very happy with them.
I will add that HOG isn't the only company that makes parts kits available. Dive Rite has been doing that way before HOG was even a brand. I have enough Dive Rite parts kits for 1st and 2nd stages to last me a long time. Dive Rite even makes PDF available for those that want to service their own.

HOG came out with very low priced regs, and got a lot of customers because of it. They then started filling out their product line with all of the other gear. The now closely resemble Dive Rite, in my opinion.

Over time, they seem to me, to closely mirrored Dive Rite's entire product line.

My previous comments were mainly about HOG positioning themselves a a discount brand. Which they are in my mind. They are very much a "Discount Brand". I have friends that have HOG gear and love it. They chose HOG based on price only. They needed gear, and were on a limited budget.

HOG should be cheaper. They emerged on the market as a "cheaper" brand. That was they sales angle they used for their products. If most everything in your catalog is made in China, then customers are going to expect lower prices.
Which is HOG's niche.

If something is made in the US, then I expect to pay a bit more for it. Which I do.

Some companies, like Dive Rite, have some of their gear outsourced, and other items made in the US. That's just the reality of doing business in a global market.

For me....when I see China manufactured products that have their prices raised to match that of US manufactured items, then I fail to see any advantage in buying the China made product. I'm not bashing China made products either....I just won't pay top dollar for them; I expect them to be made to a price point.

If I am buying a made in China item, then I reasonably expect to get it for a cheaper price. If they raise prices....then I take them off of my short list. It's the same with the Name brand stuff (most regs are outsourced)...I don't pay retail for them either.

That's what branding is all about. Some brands are worth more, and positioned higher than other brands. It's just the way it is.

Which is why, for example, REI branded outdoor clothing is established as a cheaper "house brand" than brands like Patagonia.

Or Hyundai is lower than BMW.
You get the idea.

Diving brands are no different.

Exactly! Many of those who jumped on the bandwagon will have regrets. In the meantime, I have all my family's Scubapro gear. I fully expect the flak, proceed.

Exactly! Many of those who jumped on the bandwagon will have regrets. In the meantime, I have all my family's Scubapro gear. I fully expect the flak, proceed.

I will admit to being one of those that was very skeptical of HOG when they first came out. At that time I certainly thought the same thing as what you just said.

My first thought was, that they just had a ton of regs made, and then dumped them on the market. I figured they wouldn't last as a company.

Now....I still believe that they did introduce a bunch of low price regs, to undercut the competition....but in fairness, that is sort of what you have to do if you want to gain some market share and get your products out there.

Since they first came out, they have always seemed to respond to their customers, and have also come out with some new regulator designs....so clearly they intend to be here for awhile.

These are also signs of growth...which is a good thing for anybody, especially in this economy.

I always try and keep an open mind....and I certainly do about HOG.

If the name of the game is to earn customer loyalty....they have certainly achieved that.
In a lot of ways, HOG came along and gave a kick in the ass to some of the other companies out there.

Initially...I figured they would be here today, and gone tomorrow.

Now.....I've been proven wrong. They certainly are here to stay.
They seem to go out of the way to keep their customers happy, as do their dealers.

As long as they keep it real with their pricing. :wink: I'll very likely buy some of their gear in the near future.

Disclaimer: I don't not own any HOG gear. I did have a reg, but sold it to a buddy that needed a singles setup, and I already have a few DR regs.

why flak, SP make EXCELLENT regs, I was a HUGE SP fan before I got into repping, and frankly when I had to dive the stuff I was selling I missed my SP regs. I was lucky enough to make regs with HOG that I enjoy as much as my old SP regs (and more).

NEVER regret buying good gear, regret not getting diving.

Thing is I hope Hog is successful but for a year or more now nobody could mention a regulator without SP being bashed and Hog, this and Hog that. I always said, get back with me in 20 years. I have Scubapro and USD/AL regulators that are 30 to 40 plus years old for which I still use and can still get at least some parts, Hog, this does not sound good.

N

Thing is I hope Hog is successful but for a year or more now nobody could mention a regulator without SP being bashed and Hog, this and Hog that. I always said, get back with me in 20 years. I have Scubapro and USD/AL regulators that are 30 to 40 plus years old for which I still use and can still get at least some parts, Hog, this does not sound good.

N

I don't understand this does not sound good? That I stopped working with one dealer? I think over the years that Scubapro has stopped working with a couple as well...

As already stated, I'm pretty sure DGX isn't carrying the HOG regs just because they have their own regs now. Doesn't make sense to throw in additional competition against their in-house brand.

I'm still diving my SP R109 from 1972, I hope Hog is just as successful.

Best to all, good diving,

Craig

I don't understand this does not sound good? That I stopped working with one dealer? I think over the years that Scubapro has stopped working with a couple as well...

I hope it is all good.

Because there cannot be fifty discount brands, one would think. If they dropped Hog to emphasize their own, just one more fish in the sea. How many can there be.

Like I said, I have nothing against Hog, like the fact they tend to sell rebuild kits etc. at least to some level to the public.A dive manufacturing (or branding, rebranding company, whatever) company that trusts it's consumers is refreshing.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom