Anyone know why DGX has dropped the HOG line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because there cannot be fifty discount brands, one would think. If they dropped Hog to emphasize their own, just one more fish in the sea. How many can there be.

I think DGX is just getting rid of all of the remaining stock of the Dive Rite RG3100 regs....and just calling them their own DGX brand.

Am I the only person who's puzzled as to why one online retailer not carrying one brand of anything is such a calamity?

I mean...I know we're in the slow season and all, but we can't be THAT bored!

I think DGX is just getting rid of all of the remaining stock of the Dive Rite RG3100 regs....and just calling them their own DGX brand.

Does not matter to me.

N

slightly off topic, but since most of this thread was off topic i'm ok with it.

I was reading all of the comments about testing and adjusting 1st stage before sending. I bought a D2 1st stage from DGX ($99 can't be beaten). how do I know if it was tested and adjusted? if not, how do I do it. note that i'm a noob and probably can't do it myself

This was a tech class and they went to the Philippines with brand new untested straight from the box regs? I hope you failed them for stupid.

Recreational/basic sidemount classes - typically AOW/Rescue level divers. Confined water, followed by a series of shallow no-stop dives. Students often turn up with brand new (undived) sidemount BCD and regs.

Some students go on to tech class afterwards.

My personal concern was really about course disruption. The parameters of the diving, coupled with redundancy and supervision ensures safety. My wider concern is that recreational divers could be buying regulators that are potentially dangerous and taking them straight into deeper water with no redundancy/supervision etc.. (I am not saying HOG regulators are potentially dangerous... but if the in-water issues I witnessed had occurred with a single-tank diver, they would have constituted emergencies).

Virtually every time I see this it is due to the diver lifting and moving his cylinders by the first stage and twisting the DIN so it loosens. this happens with any brand and has been a universal problem since sidemount has become popular.

I've not seen it happen with other brands (0%). HOG have been the only ones to have had this occur on my courses. It's a low sample size, but it's 100%. Not a criticism, just my observations.

The one that could not be adjusted to work, it's hard to say what happened but 90%+ that have come back to us with that type of description have had the LP seat cut but somebody adjusting the LP oriface without pressing the purge button so they cut the LP seat.
I couldn't speculate. But these regs were new, out of the box and un-dived.

Thanks for the comments. I am actually trying to figure out a better means to sell first and second stages as separates for tech divers.... I still believe that is the best and most customer friendly way to sell regs intended for the technical market, however between dealers not tuning the first and second to mate and divers that don't have the knowledge buying them it can cause some issues that frustrate everybody.

You got the West Coast, and Lapenta has the East side.....

Let's not forget DRIS in the middle. SB supporter with their own sub-forum.

I have had the pleasure of dealing with both Jim Lapenta and DRIS. I was a customer of DRIS before I was a dealer, and have had dealings with them since. Both are quality dealers and good people. I am perfectly happy with sharing the country with them. :)

Last edited:
yes, they are also top notch.

Apologies for reviving oldish thread, am bored and can't sleep. Have read through the whole thread, people have made mention of DGX branded regulators as separate from DiveRite regulators. Now either I'm more tired than I thought or this information is incorrect. Can someone please provide a link to these "DGX" branded regulators". Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom