Anyone know the Tampa Airport well...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Several of us are flying Delta in, one flying Continental, to meet there. I called the airlines, but their info didn't make sense, and one of them admited that they map she had available was screwy. I think I found the same map on the net, and I did get that one cannot go directly from one baggage claim area to the other one.

Can someone give me basic info on what parts we'll arrive on the 2 airlines, which baggage claims we'll use, and where would be a good meeting area....?

thanks, don

DandyDon:
Several of us are flying Delta in, one flying Continental, to meet there. I called the airlines, but their info didn't make sense, and one of them admited that they map she had available was screwy. I think I found the same map on the net, and I did get that one cannot go directly from one baggage claim area to the other one.

Can someone give me basic info on what parts we'll arrive on the 2 airlines, which baggage claims we'll use, and where would be a good meeting area....?

thanks, don

The baggage claims for all airlines are in the same area, you come down the escalators and some airlines are to the right and others on the left. Also, the car rental desk are right there next to baggage claim. One stop shopping.

Paul

DandyDon:

thanks, don

Go to the main floor/ticket area a good place to meet would be TGI Fridays.
I don't know the numbers of luggage claim for each airline but it is one long floor all belts in a row. Main floor is up one from baggage claim

DandyDon:

thanks, don
Ironically enough, Im in the airport right now. If i had a camera phone Id send you a pic. :) Its pretty simple though. the baggae and main areas are all at the main building and alot of the terminals are via tram, and out like spokes with the mina building in the center. Once to debark, youll take the tram to the main building, baggage is at the bottom. As someone said, you can get your baggage, go back to the main floor and meet near Fridays. WHen are you going to be here?

In addition to the above posts- the baggage claim is on two sides- imagine a H, so if your baggage is on one side you have to go up the escalator and back down the other side to meet your friends if they are at a different carosel. I fly Delta and Continental a lot- I believe they are usually both on the same side, but its not a problem anyway.
As well as TGI fridays to meet - there is also a starbucks cafe area in the main terminal- might be easier if you have luggage to meet there (the TGI fridays can get a little cramped with luggage)
Hope you have fun when you are in town!!!!

Hey, thanks forks. That's what I needed.

This is the part I was worried about...
...so if your baggage is on one side you have to go up the escalator and back down the other side to meet your friends if they are at a different carosel.

I think we'll look at meeting at the coffee shop and getting out as soon as possible. Whichever, you guys have shed a lot of light on a dimly covered area.

We'll be passing thru there Wednesday, 21st, on the way to Crystal River.

I'll email my sis a link to this... :D

DandyDon:
kWe'll be passing thru there Wednesday, 21st, on the way to Crystal River.

I was planning on heading to Crystal River after getting my certification finished. Is Tampa the best way to get there? I found tickets on cheaptickets.com for 83 bucks from here in NC, but I wasn't sure if there was another major airport closer.

Thanks for any help.

Kriterian:
I was planning on heading to Crystal River after getting my certification finished. Is Tampa the best way to get there? I found tickets on cheaptickets.com for 83 bucks from here in NC, but I wasn't sure if there was another major airport closer.

Thanks for any help.
Tampa is the closest major airport to Crystal River.

Paul

from each other. Delta is on the "Blue" or south side of the main terminal building on the ground floor and Continental is on the "Red" or north side of the same floor. There is NO direct passage for passengers from one side to the other on that level, so you have to take the elevators or escalators up to the ticketing/departure level, cross over and descend by elevator or escalator on the other side.

The advice about avoiding the TGI Friday's with lots of luggage is well spoken. It is always VERY crowded, and little space is available for luggage. If you have put your luggage on a cart or drug it along (assuming you haven't checked it through on an interline tag or re-checked it before you rally, in which case it's an okay place) , you'd have to kill (or would be killed) getting in there. Besides Starbucks (in the center of the ticketing floor), if you want to get out of the din and crowds of the terminal, walk right past Friday's down the corridor toward the Airport Marriott, and you'll find a pleasant, seldom crowded bar on your left, just before the hotel elevators, that will permit dragging some luggage. It's maybe 200' from Friday's, and, blessed news, sells beverage alcohol at moderately inflated prices.

Have fun. We really love our airport here -- hope you do, too!

<')///><

hiya
I once worked out of TIA delivering lost baggage and if memory serve me correctly both continental & delta were straight across from each other on the red side of the terminal. Has this changed?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom