Anyone Know Anything about Catalina Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have the chance to buy an 80 cf Catalina Alum. tank, it was made in 1997. It is visually in great shape. I know it will need to get a new hydro but was wondering if the Catalina 80 is considered a good tank? Anyone know of any problems with these tanks?

Thanks

Aside from the industry "round-up" that is used on any aluminum tank over 70 cubic? The chart for that tank says 77 cubic feet at rated pressure. They are cheap and abundant, don't overpay. Find out how much inspection is going to cost you first.

I bought a couple of them, still with ~2years hydro left, for $50 each. Paint was flaking, they were former LDS rentals, about 3 years old but well used. They seem to be your typical aluminum tank, from one of the major makers. I personally wouldn't pay more than $50 for one out of hydro, unless it really is like new, then maybe $70, if the seller guarantees the hydro to pass (which should be no problem).

What Skynscuba said, especially about the hydro.

Here's a link to Luxfer tanks. Most AL80s are the same. About $150 including shipping for a brand new tank. Hydro will cost you anywhere from $20-40 depending on where you take it. I don't pay more than $75 for any condition used AL80, less if out of hydro.

Dive-aholic:
Here's a link to Luxfer tanks. Most AL80s are the same. About $150 including shipping for a brand new tank. Hydro will cost you anywhere from $20-40 depending on where you take it. I don't pay more than $75 for any condition used AL80, less if out of hydro.

Thanks for all the replys. Everyones comments have helped me put this deal in perspective.

The first tank I bought back in'94 is a Catalina AL80. I still have it and have not had any problems with it. I gave $99 for it brand new back then.

One consideration when looking at AL 80's is whether they are "standard" or "compact/neutral." The compact or neutral ones weigh about 4 more pounds and will require about 3 pound less weight on your belt. Some or all of them are 3300 vs. 3000 psi at 77CF. I like them, but my C80 is rated at 3300psi so I have to sometimes nag the fill guys to get a good fill.

Back
Top Bottom