Anyone interested in diving in Eastern Lake Erie - August 21st-22nd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CDNScubaMoose

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey folks,

I've got a bit of a situation on my hands that I am hoping a few of you will be able to help me out on. Back in the winter I booked "The Southwind" out of Westfield New York for the dive shop that I teach for and also help out at. The problem is that we thought we would have no problem filling the boat but due to a myriad of reasons, the majority of people that I had figured would be participating aren't going to be able to make it. End result is that I have some spots on the boat for anyone that is interested.

The trip that I've put together is for 4 wrecks on Saturday (August 21st) - so you'll need at least 4 tanks, and then 2 dives on the Sunday (August 22nd). If you are interested, I can also set up accommodations for you on the Friday and Saturday nights. I will be supplying meals (sandwiches, water, snacks) on the boat for both days and I am going to arrange to have a BBQ for Saturday evening (you will have to bring your own stuff to cook).

The wrecks we will be diving are:

Saturday
1) Dean Richmond in 115'
2) Indiana in 90'
3) Howard Gerkin in 80' of water
4) Albion (not sure of the exact depth but it will be well within recreational limits)
I believe #3 and #4 were just discovered last year.

Sunday
1) John J. Boland - stern line
2) John J. Boland - bow line. This wreck is in 130' of water but for those that are interested, have the training and equipment - you are free to do one long dive (deco) on this wreck instead of 2.

The price for this trip is $350 plus air/gas fills which includes the accommodation (2 per room) but if you want to arrange your own then I'll have to get you a price based off that. If you have a preferred buddy then that is great but if not, then the folks that are booked on the trip already would be more then willing to buddy up and all of them so far are experienced Great Lakes wreck divers that make excellent buddies.

Some of us will be coming through Detroit so we can carpool if you want while others will be going through Buffalo so we should be able to carpool from that direction as well.

If you have any questions - please don't hesitate to PM me and I'll try to answer them as best as I can.

Wow, 4 dives on the Southwind in one day.

The Dean is a nice dive, she has started to collapse a little in the last few years. This is a iron clad wood steamer. The cladding has started to peel off in huge sheets.

The Indiana is a great dive, wonderful wooden schooner. Cargo hold is full of stone.

I have not dove the last two yet, but maybe this year.

The Boland is a large steel freighter. You can see a lot on this wreck in the 120 foot range.

I will keep this trip in mind, but I have not clue what the schedule will be that far out yet.

Yes, I agree that it is a ways off but I wanted to give everyone the opportunity to participate (and to put my mind at ease that the boat was full). I've heard many times, "I wish I'd known earlier, but I've just made plans".

The 4 wrecks on Saturday are relatively close together and they were chosen that way so we could hopefully get a good day of diving in. The idea is to get 2 dives in during the morning and then have lunch on the lake followed by 2 more in the afternoon. Although with the depths involved I think it is pretty clear that this is one trip that nitrox is definitely going to pay.

I'd be thrilled if either or both of you could make it out - I've read many of your posts and there is no doubt in my mind that I'd enjoy spending time both in the water and out of it with you.

I'll probably bump this thread up once we get closer as a reminder provided there are still spots available.

I am very interested as well. Hard to plan something in August - I haven't figured out my dive schedule for may yet.

I need to do a little research and will PM you if I can work it out.

Do you need 4tanks of your own, our can you rent at least 3tanks? I havent ventured out on any lakes yet just Gilboa quarry are these dives too much for me?

You need your own tanks. You can rent them but not from Osprey. The dives are all in deep recreational range 80-115 feet or so. Water temps will be 40 at the most on the bottom. I'd also hazard a guess that a few people will be diving doubles. Just how much deep and cold experience do you have? Buddying up may be an issue with some people. At the price it will be expected that you know what you are doing. These are advanced dives due to the depth, and cold. Only you can decide if they are in your comfort range. If I do them I will be planning on some penetration. At least on the Dean.

Do you need 4tanks of your own, our can you rent at least 3tanks? I havent ventured out on any lakes yet just Gilboa quarry are these dives too much for me?

As Jim mentioned - only you can determine if you are going to be comfortable with these dives. Your profile has 50-99 dives listed and an advanced diver so in my mind you have the paper qualifications. Now when you say you've done most of your dives in Gilboa - how many have you done on the deep side and are you comfortable there?

As for the rest of the group - we have a couple of people that will be diving doubles, some are going to be singles and there is a possibility of one rebreather. I am relatively comfortable diving with most people and wouldn't have an issue on this trip either - ideally I would like to do a couple dives with you ahead of time and if it means meeting up in Gilboa then I'd be up for that as I am planning on being there a bunch of times before this trip.

So far the people that have signed up for the trip are a collection of people the range from extensive experience diving in the Great Lakes to others who are probably a bit closer to your level. The other thing to keep in mind is that there is lots of time between now and then for you to get out on some other charters to see if lake diving is for you (let me know if you are looking for opportunities as I might be able to help you out on some shallower dives).

I've replied to keep in touch on this dive, will be interested as time draws a little closer.
Thanks for posting.
Jay

Thanks for your help,I have never been at the deep end, The deepest I have been is 75ft on my deep dive certification in the other side.
I was at Gilboa Sat.
I do want to get some lake diving experience this summer.

Back
Top Bottom