Anyone heard of this regulator issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What does this have to do with the alleged "130 ft limit"?

Except we don't know where 130 ft caution came from. 50m is 164 ft.
And there is no standardized test for deeper. EN is the closest available for uniform standards.

Oh S@#$ I totally misread/BrainFarted that one for some reason.
Never mind. Carry on. Nothing to see here. LOL

I can see just two possible reasons for such limitation (if it really exists):

First - here starting to talk about balanced regulator, so: Legend series is OVERbalanced. It increase IP with the depth, and POSSIBLE can reach pressure, that allow for 2nd stage to goes to freeflow.... just possible in theory. I suspect, that it could be near depth of 200m... :)

Second - same reason as O2 limits of PPO2 of 1.4 ata - this limits mean (here is just my broken translation of main idea) - with 99% probability of 99% people will NOT have any O2 toxity issues in any health, temperature, load and any other conditions.
(or "maximal" 1.6 ata - same, but in light and easy conditions).
With limit of 130 (165) ft Aqualung just decrease the probability of accidents with divers, that POSSIBLE can reach of lawsuit to them. :)
"Do not dry your cat in the microwave!" (c) from famous internet stories
I think it could be the same :)

Also I know at least two regulators, that have very small iris (seat diameter), and with increased air volume at depth it can limit normal inhale.
But it is old Soviet models - Ukraina-2 and oxygen regulator from IDA-59. Normal regs has seat diameter more than enough for recreational limits.

And there is no standardized test for deeper. EN is the closest available for uniform standards.

NORSOK U-101 "Diving Respiratory Equipment" tests to both 200 metres and 400 metres.
Diving Respiratory Equipment | standard.no

I understand only 2 scuba companies and a total of 4 regulator models have passed the test to 200 metres. Poseidon (XSTREAM) and Apeks (TEK 3, XTX200 AND XTX50).

What does this have to do with the alleged "130 ft limit"?

If there is a 130' depth limit, you would think the manual would mention it right? If the manual only says 50m, then there is no 130' limit.

The maximum operating depth limit required by the standard for certifying the equipment is 50 metres. If your regulator carries the >10°C mark, this indicates that the regulator is not intended for use in water at a temperature below 10°C.

From their UK regulator owners manual.
http://www.aqualung.com/fr/images/PDF/notices/UK_Regulator-Owner-Manual_rev-2017.pdf

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom