Anyone heard of this regulator issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
i had a student tell me that his Aqualung regulator should not be used below 130 feet. Since he was about to do dive 4 of TEC50 which requires a minimum of 130 feet, the issue was relevant.

I have never heard of a normal regulator like this have a recommended depth limit like that. There are exceptions like the unbalanced piston Dive Rite deco reg that is not recommended below 70 feet, but this was a regular recreational regulator.

which aqualung regulator?

likely a CYOA issue. The DR is not actually depth limited because it's an unbalanced piston *balancing has NOTHING to do with depth limitations*, it is depth limited from a flow rate if being used as a breathing regulator. It'll function at 1000ft with no issue, just won't be able to breathe from it

which aqualung regulator?

likely a CYOA issue. The DR is not actually depth limited because it's an unbalanced piston *balancing has NOTHING to do with depth limitations*, it is depth limited from a flow rate if being used as a breathing regulator. It'll function at 1000ft with no issue, just won't be able to breathe from it
How is the DR any different inside than a MK2?

i had a student tell me that his Aqualung regulator should not be used below 130 feet.
Sounds like a misunderstanding....based on he shouldn't go below 130 ft without appropriate training.

All current Aqualung regulators have passed EU testing requirements, at 165 ft. Cold water use varies by model. Use of an Octo at deeper depth rather than a redundant air supply can also be questioned.

::EDIT:: I totally misread/miscalculated/BrainFarted the info in this. Disregard this as far as this Thread goes. Thanks for the heads up guys.
He may be referring to this.
I copied this out of the Aqualung Regulator Owner's Manual https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw2KZz_tpyY_BafgM9Cvq6zx&cshid=1547587503912

2.1. CE Conformity
This regulator has successfully passed all the tests required by the EN 250:2014 standard and has received certification for this type. The maximum operating depth limit required by the standard for certifying the equipment is 50 metres. If your regulator carries the >10°C mark, this indicates that the regulator is not intended for use in water at a temperature below 10°C. In accordance with the EN250, the regulators are not forseen to be used by several persons at the same time. If this regulator is configured and used by several divers at the same time, the freezing resistance and the breathing performances can not correspond any more to the requirements of the EN250.

Good to see he read his owner's manual.

I copied this out of the Aqualung Regulator Owner's Manual https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw2KZz_tpyY_BafgM9Cvq6zx&cshid=1547587503912

2.1. CE Conformity
This regulator has successfully passed all the tests required by the EN 250:2014 standard and has received certification for this type. The maximum operating depth limit required by the standard for certifying the equipment is 50 metres. If your regulator carries the >10°C mark, this indicates that the regulator is not intended for use in water at a temperature below 10°C. In accordance with the EN250, the regulators are not forseen to be used by several persons at the same time. If this regulator is configured and used by several divers at the same time, the freezing resistance and the breathing performances can not correspond any more to the requirements of the EN250.

What does this have to do with the alleged "130 ft limit"?

2.1. CE Conformity

Except we don't know where 130 ft caution came from. 50m is 164 ft.
And there is no standardized test for deeper. EN is the closest available for uniform standards.

Except we don't know where 130 ft caution came from. 50m is 164 ft.
And there is no standardized test for deeper. EN is the closest available for uniform standards.
Nor is there a test with 2x the already high flow rates in EN250 to (in theory) simulate gas sharing from one regulator at depth. The 62.5L/min (2.2 cf/min) surface consumption used in EN250 is already more than double what most tech divers use to simulate two "stressed" divers sharing gas via one first stage. If your plan required 125L/min for one minute to stabilize an OOA at 130ft (5 ATA) that is 625L or 22cf before you have even started to ascend or any required stops. You are going to run out of gas right about the time that regulator has a chance to freeze up. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom