Anyone hear of Central Florida Diver Death on 11/14/08?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Secondly off as the others have noted, Jupiter diving presents some challenges that differs a bit from much of "Tropical" Florida diving. With a deeper reef/ledge line, the profiles are less forgiving. When this is combined with some level of current (usually more, then less), the divers frequently have to swim a bit from their drop to hit the ledge. This can create a situation of increased gas use as will as some CO build up. A "good" diver should know when to say when - you need to be willing to call a dive at any time.
<snip>
As far as the dive operations whether it be JDC or Randy with Emerald, there is only so much you they can do to police the situation. But there certainly has been some voodoo **** going on as of late with the recent deaths and few DCS incidents in the last weeks. I have been out with JDC pre and post Randy (as well as with Emerald) and additionally have been out on a private boat out of Jupiter; and I truly believe the nature of the conditions and the fact that many people are task overloaded is the primary contributing factor.
<snip>
This tragedy like many others might have been able to be prevented with better training, and following the golden rule of diving - you can call a dive without recourse at any time.

Well said Jeff.
I've been both chastised and harassed by other members for telling some folks that were visiting with less than 50 dives that Jupiter mostly likely wouldn't be a good choice. I remain unswayed on that opinion.

I don't want to get into too many details, but here are some facts.

Site: Area 51 - First dive of the day
Depth: Top of the ledge at about 75 feet
When: Problem occurred early in the dive (approx. 10 minutes)

Diver made it back to the surface, but almost immediately descended again.

We found the diver where he had descended.

*** Dive profile had nothing to do with this incident. He was spear fishing and diving alone. Pressure gauge read empty. Don't know if it was reading just one tank or both (i.e., isolator value issue).
Nick was a very close friend of mine, and I am trying to get more information on what happened. I spoke briefly with his sister, but of course nobody in the family is up for much conversation about the details. Unfortunately I heard about the accident too late to make it to Florida for his memorial, and am trying to wrap my brain around the whole thing. Anything anyone can share about the accident, what he was doing, who he was with, anything at all, would be helpful. I'm not interested in whose fault it was, just how my old buddy spent his last day, and how he went.

Thank you!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I've pulled all the off-topic posts out of this thread and, as they really didn't have any value in a thread of their own, tucked them away in a back room, out of sight.
Please keep this thread on topic.
Thanks.

ok....I will help put this back on topic...this from my dive blog........

" I took a very easy weekend of diving. So not much to report. My mind is processing another diver who is no longer with us. I saw Nick around the dive shop. Not more than nodding and saying hello's. He was planning on doing some very advanced GUE training and I recall one day when he saw the new Halcyon catalog. His eyes lit up like Christmas and he even commented on how happy he was to take it with him to study. I only paid attention (a bit) because it is training that my DM has done and I am often asked when I am going to take the next big training challenge. I know that I am not ready for this and I have my sites set on training for Dive Master.....but Global Underwater Explorer (GUE) will be for another time....sometime down the road. You see I spend alot of time in the dive shop. Meeting divers who have the same passion that I do. We all walk in with a glazed look in our eyes....like little kids in a candy store. And sometimes I forget that it can be a dangerous sport. Most of us recall days when we made a stupid mistake and we kick ourselves, and we often just push the thought of danger away. I know that I have done it more times than I want to admit. And sometimes I come across divers that have no fear. They feel they are invincible....and some days I feel the same. I am just as guilty....I think that "Hey...I got this!" And I do....but now I think there could be a day when it goes all wrong. When you don't got this. Even something as simple as a wet suit. I see divers diving with no protection. I have even commented to some that yes its okay for a single dive....but the "What If" you find yourself in the water for a day or so? How will you survive? I always get the same response....Oh that won't happen. Right! I pray it doesn't. I pray that we are all safe and Mother Nature takes us and lets us play in areas we are not supposed to be. And then lets us all come home."

So Nick.....you did what you loved! You did it with passion! I will miss seeing you around the shop....I will always remember! I won't forget! And the days that I think "Hey I got this" I will remember! May god bless you and your family!

My husband and a friend were on the boat on Nov. 14. Seas were 2-4 feet, with a pretty decent current. They said vis was around 50 feet.

It is very sad that Nick lost his life, and since I wasn't there, I will only relay the part I can confirm.

From the view point of the two divers I know, Nick did not have a buddy. Once people jumped in the water to go w/the divemaster, everyone was given the signal to descend, and that's the last thing I will relay as my husband & his buddy descended and went with the divemaster. They did not see Nick again until his body was brought back on the boat. They did comment that Nick was the only hunter on the boat and he went by himself.

I, too, dive Jupiter frequently -- and even got to do a couple of the Hole in the Wall dives before that was discontinued. Every dive I learn something new.

My husband and his friend were very shaken by the events of the day. Not sure how many of us have been on a boat when someone doesn't come back alive. Every person on the boat had to give statements to the police, one of whom was a diver so he asked some very pertinent questions.

Thoughts and prayers are with the diver's family.

R.I.P. Nick and my condolences go to your family. I've been diving in the Jupiter area for 12 years now and have never heard of so many diving accidents as this year. Although I realize there are many more residences in the area thus many more divers, this is far too many accidents. I do wish Nick had a diving buddy with him, especially while a newby to doubles. So sorry to hear this, yet again. I just hope all of us divers can learn something from this horrible tragedy. Spearit

New gear = big risks
I have a friend on this board that always is trying to tinker with my gear. He is very experienced and I have taken some of his advice, but this is the #1 reason you shouldn't dive new gear without getting familiar with it. GUE must know what they are doing but I understand you have to where your gear in a certian setup(set by GUE). That seems unsafe to me ,but I dive solo so I'm not one to talk. RIP Nick good luck on the other side brother.
Rick

I was very sorry to hear about this accident earlier today. This has been a bad month for dive accidents in Florida and I am seeing some unfortunate trends.
Some divers want to move too quickly through training and some skipping training altogether to do "self-learning."
If I were making my first dive using doubles it would not be off a dive boat in somewhat deep water with strong currents. And I certainly would not do any hunting -- I would concentrate on getting used to the doubles. (I did this years ago in the shallow waters of a north Florida spring with no current and no distractions.)
Please take your time and move through your training slowly. Fight the urge to rush! That applies too when gearing up either at your car, boat or dive site. Concentrate on getting yourself and your equipment ready for the dive as your life depends on it....
Don't feel bad about checking things numerous times or telling someone trying to talk with you that you need a few minutes to concentrate on getting your gear ready.
Remember your families, children, etc., be careful and have fun.

I don't have any details so regard this as hear-say at this point.

My wife heard news that her pastor when she was a child died while diving yesterday.

He lives and is a pastor in the central Florida area.

If anyone knows of any details we would greatly appreciate them.

Dave

Dave - I'm not sure why this story took a week to post and another to cross my news alerts but this appears to be the gentleman you heard about:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/community/news/southofdowntown/orl-bizdead1908nov19,0,3811858.story

Scuba diving accident kills 'Brother Jim'

ORLANDO, Florida (21 Nov 2008) James William Hammock - or Brother Jim, as he referred to himself -- touched the lives of many around him. From the churches where he ministered for more than 30 years to his missionary work in Nicaragua and Ethiopia, he lived his beliefs through his actions.

"I think one of the most amazing things about him is that his dad had Alzheimer's, and Jim took care of his dad for about nine years," said Ken Smith, a friend of Hammock's for more than 30 years. "He bathed, walked and fed him, and kept him in his home, until right before his death -- it's typical of who Jim is."

Hammock died Nov. 14 after suffering a heart attack while scuba diving in the Florida Keys. He was 57.

Hammock was born in 1951 in Miami but grew up in Taft, just south of Orlando. His father, W.C. "Dub" Hammock, owned Hammock Roofing in Orlando.

He met his future wife of 37 years, Deri Oakley Hammock, at Delaney Street Baptist Church in Orlando when they were both in seventh grade. She said they became sweethearts when she was 15 and at Boone High School; he was the only boy she ever dated.

"What won me was he always had a tender heart and was very compassionate and wise beyond his years," she said.

Hammock earned his bachelor's degree from Stetson University and completed a master's and a doctor of ministries degree from Southern Seminary in Louisville, Ky.

He was the pastor of his first church in Punta Gorda for 2 1/2 years before moving in 1978 to First Baptist Church in Longwood, where he ministered for about 15 years. He also served as an interim pastor at several local churches, including College Park Baptist, Killarney Baptist, Downtown Baptist, First Baptist Apopka and Lockhart Baptist.

In 2001, Hammock was the founding pastor of Compass Community Church in Apopka. The church developed a world vision, and Hammock led teams to Nicaragua, to build a mission school, and to Ethiopia, to drill a well for water. He referred to his ministry at Compass as "planting a tree under whose shade you will never sit."

Hammock, who loved the outdoors, taught his children to hunt and fish. His most recent adventure and challenge was scuba diving with his sons.

Son Joshua Hammock of Lake Mary said his father was a great communicator who could explain religious principles to people who ordinarily had a hard time understanding such concepts.

"When he talked to you, you understood what he said," his son said. "He was a good translator of the Word."

He is also survived by son J. Matthew of Chuluota; daughters Kimberly Beal of Apopka and Kelli Mitchell of Longwood; brother Joel Hammond of Orlando; and five grandchildren.

Carey Hand Colonial Funeral Home, Orlando, is handling arrangements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom