Anyone have pstE series coming due for hydro??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaycanwk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
There was a discussion awhile ago (and for some reason the search function is not working for me so I can't find it to link to it) about a guy who had I think 4 out of his 5 PST E series tanks failing hydro. Some posters were suggesting that this was a common ocurrance even when proper test protocol was followed, but I think the general consenses was that the test facility didn't folow the pre expansion prceedure. But I'm still a little worried. Is this a common occurance??

The thing is, didn't the PST E series only come out in 2003?? and if so most would only becoming due for thier first hydro this year so we don't really seem to have alot of data to go by for fail rates.

The reason this concerns me is that I have 2 pstE 100 comming due this spring and I was wondering if anyone else that has thier PST's due this year, could maybe post your results so we can have some data.

I know I'm gonna make sure I print off and double tape the PST service bulitin about the pre expansion proceedure to my tank.

Crossing my fingers

Last edited:
I just hydroed a PST E100 and PST E80 with no problems. I just bought a friend's PST E100 that has a fresh hydro. Do you have info, other than anecdotal, that there might be a systemic problem?

Last edited:
I believe that discussion was on TDS. I have one that ran out last month. I'm planning on talking to the local hydro shop before I let him have at it. I might just have haul it of somewhere in the "big city" to have it done.

Do you have info, other than anecdotal, that there might be a systemic problem?

That's the thing. It was sugested in the other discussion but there really isn't much data on which to say for sure because most PST E' s are not due for their first hydro untill recently. It would be great if others could post how thier tests went so we can have some data.

I'm glad to hear, spt29970 that yours and your friends' hydros were succsessful.

I had my two 130's hydro'd a couple of months ago. No issues.

I recently purchased two PST E 80's from my LDS. After reading through some of the threads, I raised some concern regarding the number of failures that were being discussed. He put me in contact with the hydro tech that he uses and we discussed. Ultimately, he said that of all the PST cylinders he has hydro'd, which is a countless number, he has only condemned one. He felt that that the one who were having difficult due to the hydro's being rushed. He did reinforce the need to "stretch" the tanks. If they use the initial reading, then it WILL fail.

This was also reinforced through a shop that that does hydro's inhouse.

There was a discussion awhile ago (and for some reason the search function is working for me so I can't find it to link to it) about a guy who had I think 4 out of his 5 PST E series tanks failing hydro. Some posters were suggesting that this was a common ocurrance even when proper test protocol was followed, but I think the general consenses was that the test facility didn't folow the pre expansion prceedure. But I'm still a little worried. Is this a common occurance??

The thing is, didn't the PST E series only come out in 2003?? and if so most would only becoming due for thier first hydro this year so we don't really seem to have alot of data to go by for fail rates.

The reason this concerns me is that I have 2 pstE 100 comming due this spring and I was wondering if anyone else that has thier PST's due this year, could maybe post your results so we can have some data.

I know I'm gonna make sure I print off and double tape the PST service bulitin about the pre expansion proceedure to my tank.

Crossing my fingers

The reason you can't find it here is because it was posted on a different forum. Try over on The Deco Stop and look for posts by "biggsy" :)

Here's the updated (2003) procedure:
http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/downloads/PST-D-100.pdf

I own six E8-130s and they all passed hydro within the last 18 months.
If you think for one second your hydro facility is going to muff the test and fail your tanks, send them them Fill Express or Hydrostat in Pompano Beach where they know what they are doing.

What's the Hydro pressure on 130's ? 5740psi??
104's have a hydro pressure of what, 4000psi?

As these tanks are somewhat similar it seems reasonable that the hydro test is easier for 104's?

Or maybe its just that I prestretch them on a regular basis ? :D

What's the Hydro pressure on 130's ? 5740psi??
104's have a hydro pressure of what, 4000psi?

As these tanks are somewhat similar it seems reasonable that the hydro test is easier for 104's?

Or maybe its just that I prestretch them on a regular basis ? :D

Exemption cylinders and HP cylinders are tested at 3/2 service pressure, or ~5,250psi (as stamped in the side of the cylinder: "TP5250").

Just had 2 tested and both passed. I was original owner, and for most part these cylinders saw fresh water use for 2 years, then became loaners when I moved. Sold them both recently after testing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom