Anyone have experience with Hollis F1's AND Mares Quattros?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving Jet Fins since 1969, and have yet to find anything I liked better including Quattros. I found them fine for flutter kicking, but I my ability to frog kick in them lacking. To be completely candid, I have tried at least twenty different styles of fins (including twin jets) and nothing comes close to Jets. Now I dive the XXL size as I always wear OTB boots.

A few weeks ago, I got to try the F1s (Bat Fins) for the first time in both fresh and salt water. WOW. The foot pocket was amazing in both comfort and power transmission. I was able to do all of my fin kicks and even found back finning very easy. Now, if you have ever met me, you know that I have flexibility issues which stem from 30 years in automotive and being too darn fat. However, getting these fins off and on were far easier than any other fin I have tried.

Now, I tried these fins diving sidemount and backmount and they were very effective either way. after 40 years, I finally found a fin I like better than my Jets.

Pete,

If you are still following this thread:

I also use XXL Jets, and was curious about the F1's:

How does the blade length and width compare between the XXL Jets and the F1's, and which size F1 was comparable to the XXL Jet?

Thanks, and Best Wishes.

I will take side by side pics for you today. The F1s are just a tad smaller. I have issues back finning with my Jets, though I have spent many an hour trying. With the F1s, it was just easy. All kicks are easier because the foot pocket is more secure. There is no loss in power and I don't think my legs felt as fatigued after the dive.

I see there's a couple other F1 posts in this forum, so I guess I'm not the only one interested. I currently have Quattro's with springstraps. I like the fins and don't have any major complaints, but I've been eyeballing the F1's for quite a while now, so I'm curious about the opinions of someone who has tried both (e.g. which do you prefer, which is more precise, which has better propulsion, which is more fatiguing, which is better for surface swimming, etc.) Note, I am only doing single-tank wetsuit dives and don't have plans of upgrading to doubles and/or a drysuit anytime soon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I recently got key man discount for an entire TECH line of Hollis equipment from my LDS. I received O2 clean regs, and a dry suit plus-plus for under $2000. I thought the stuff would be cheep like Oceanic, but I was quite amazed by the quality. Hollis is venturing into a set market of TECH Gear and they are producing some top notch stuff. I now prefer Hollis over Halcyon and Dive Rite due to their quality and craftsmanship. Google Hollis as he was one of the originators of scuba diving. I so sold I am ordering a re-breather (Primas II) $5000, and a Diver Propulsion Vehicle (DPV) $2000 based only on the quality of their TECH gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom