Anyone have experience with Hollis F1's AND Mares Quattros?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver_doug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I see there's a couple other F1 posts in this forum, so I guess I'm not the only one interested. I currently have Quattro's with springstraps. I like the fins and don't have any major complaints, but I've been eyeballing the F1's for quite a while now, so I'm curious about the opinions of someone who has tried both (e.g. which do you prefer, which is more precise, which has better propulsion, which is more fatiguing, which is better for surface swimming, etc.) Note, I am only doing single-tank wetsuit dives and don't have plans of upgrading to doubles and/or a drysuit anytime soon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I suppose I'll answer this albeit a bit late. I have the F1's and I find they are a very heavy fin. Not suited well for tropical diving, prolly more for drysuit or cold water diving. I've had my best experiences with them when I was wearing 7mm wetsuits in that I could use them in a variety of kicking styles. However when diving the tropics, they were quite cumbersome.

What size are your Quattros? I may be up for an even trade if your interested. My F1's have maybe 25 dives on them, size XL.

I have been using both Hollis F1 and Mares Quattro Power (the full foot, longer version of the Quattro). And also the Mares Avanti Tre (open heel version).

They are all good fins, quite stiff with a lot of thrust. From what I feel, the F1 allow an astonishingly high cruising speed, as much as the Quattro Power in that respect (the Avanti Tre are not as efficient) but with less effort.

On the surface the F1 feels better (really easier) probably due to its vented construction. The Mares (especially the Avanti Tre) feel too stiff on the surface, at least for me.

The F1 are more precise and manoeuvrable (shorter; also because of the vents and the geometry/stiffness of the paddle ?) than the Quattro Power. They are good in many styles of kicking (also good for flutter-kick ; Quattro Power are mostly for flutter-kick and split-kick ; the open-heel Quattro, being shorter, are certainly more versatile/precise than the Quattro Power). The F1 are also less encumbering on a boat. But they are heavier for travel (about 2 pounds more) and bulkier.

The stainless steel spring straps of the F1 are just perfect and I don't like the ABS buckles of the Mares, but it's easy to replace them with SS spring straps, so that's no big deal.

All are robust fins, with the Mares having a longer proven record.

In extrem current the Quattro Power allow (in theory: longer paddle and more tubular shape) more water displacement than the F1 (provided one has legs strong enough) and then are likely to be more "ultimate" fins for flutter-kick, but overall I find the F1 to be a better trade-off and still very efficient fins with an amazing mix of thrust, precision, versatility, comfort and easiness.

You guess I prefer the F1, but the Quattro are excellent, proven and long-lasting fins and if you are happy with them I see no reason for a change.

Hey hg Frogman, do you use your F1's for tropical waters? And can you frog kick with them? No implications in that question, I'm truly asking. I struggled to relax and frog kick with them as my feet kept sinking, but I could flutter kick or scissor kick. But still had a problem when being still, feet would sink. Would the Quattros be any different in this regard? I s'pose I'm askin cause maybe I just need to work with the F1's more.

Did I hi-jack this thread? I hope Not...my apologies if I did.

The F-1's are desgined to be neutral in saltwater. In fresh therefore they are slightly negative. With a wetsuit (3mil or 5 mil) and my thicker boots they seem to be just right in fresh. I have another pair of thinner boots and actually use my old Aqualung Blades as they foot pocket is just a bit smaller and a better fit. I took the F-1's to Bonaire when I used them for the first time. I had no issues with traveling with them. Strapped to the outside of my backpack no one complained when they went carryon with me. THey are yes a bit heavier than the blades but worth it TO ME. I can do everykick in them and they work well with the modified frog, helicopter turns, and back kicks. But then I do spend what some might consider an unusual amount of time practicing those kicks whenever I have the chance.

Hey hg Frogman, do you use your F1's for tropical waters? And can you frog kick with them? No implications in that question, I'm truly asking. I struggled to relax and frog kick with them as my feet kept sinking, but I could flutter kick or scissor kick. But still had a problem when being still, feet would sink. Would the Quattros be any different in this regard? I s'pose I'm askin cause maybe I just need to work with the F1's more.

Yes, I use my F1 fins in tropical waters (in the Red Sea, which is very salty: 4.5/1000). These fins are heavy on land but not so heavy underwater (they seem close to neutrally buoyant in the Red Sea) and I have no problem keeping them up and doing a "DIR-like" frogkick (despite this is not my favorite kick, and despite my legs being quite heavy). By the way, in the Red Sea I always wear some exposure suit, a full 3 mm in summer, a full 5 mm in winter. But I believe that if one's feet sink with the F1s and one can't frogkick with them in salt water, it's more likely to be a problem of global trim (eg too much lead, or lead positioned too low) or a problem of how one does the frogkick (eg with the legs too straight) than a problem with the fins. I don't think that Quattros would make frogkick any easier : my Quattro Power feel about the same weight underwater than my F1s (which are heavier but also bulkier) and they don't modify my trim (in the same waters with the same equipment, suit, etc.)

Last edited:
I think Jim hit on something. My most difficult time with these was on a fresh water dive. My frogkick just was not working out so well so I abandoned it. However I do agree, that during my saltwater dives, I experienced no problems with them, in fact loved them. It never dawned on me that I was in fresh water during my difficult time with them.... DUH!!!

One of the problems of having so much gear available is that pp often want gear to perform the same under any condition. Why not just practice till you get good enough with one pair of fins?

SangP

I have been diving Jet Fins since 1969, and have yet to find anything I liked better including Quattros. I found them fine for flutter kicking, but I my ability to frog kick in them lacking. To be completely candid, I have tried at least twenty different styles of fins (including twin jets) and nothing comes close to Jets. Now I dive the XXL size as I always wear OTB boots.

A few weeks ago, I got to try the F1s (Bat Fins) for the first time in both fresh and salt water. WOW. The foot pocket was amazing in both comfort and power transmission. I was able to do all of my fin kicks and even found back finning very easy. Now, if you have ever met me, you know that I have flexibility issues which stem from 30 years in automotive and being too darn fat. However, getting these fins off and on were far easier than any other fin I have tried.

Now, I tried these fins diving sidemount and backmount and they were very effective either way. after 40 years, I finally found a fin I like better than my Jets.

I just switched from quattros to the F1 fins. Both provide lots of power using flutter, frog and modified frog. However, due to the fact that the F1 fins are stiffer at the ends and a little shorter, they seem to be much better at helicopter and other turn on a dime type of situations. I haven't noticed any increased leg muscle stress with the Hollis fins.

As others have noted, they are negative in fresh water. I don't believe they are really heavier than the quattros, at least not noticeably heavier or inconvenient. Actually, my quattros with spring straps were quite negative.

Having used both, I'd say that they are both good fins with the Hollis holding the edge for precision finning. I just wish they came in other colors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom