Anyone had expierience with Zeboz-Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karen Cleveland

Contributor
Reaction score
Phoenix, AZ/wherever I happen to be working
# of dives
I will be heading to Belize at the end of April and was wondering if anyone had any experience with Zeboz resort in Southern Belize....about 100 miles south of Belize City. It just opened last October, so it is really new.

thanks
Karen

Karen Cleveland:
I will be heading to Belize at the end of April and was wondering if anyone had any experience with Zeboz resort in Southern Belize....about 100 miles south of Belize City. It just opened last October, so it is really new.

thanks
Karen

I can't believe no one has been there yet and visited the board. I was also looking at that resort for four days after doing Nekton Liveaboard. I will keep watching for replies - did you get a good deal from them?

My wife & I will also be going in late April with SSI in Phoenix. I found the resort's web page at http://www.zeboz.com/belize.html and would like to hear feedback from anyone who's actually been there. It looks nice, but what's not to like about a tropical location with 35ft fish!

Karen Cleveland:

thanks
Karen

I actually asked Zeboz for email references and wrote to all of them. I received at least 3 results, all fabulous reviews.

That's good news - no unhappy campers. I did find another webpage at http://www.belizescuba.com/placenciapict1.html They provide maps and virtual tours of Placencia, Monkey river, and several other places. They also have quick-time movies of their whale shark dives. I think SeaHorse dive shop is where SSI has booked an upcomming dive trip, so I assume it's close to Zebos. Nothing at their site is specifically related to Zebos, but the virtual-tour of Placencia does provide a flavor of the surrounding town. Not really an island, but it's still best described as "island casual" looking.

scubajeanie:
I actually asked Zeboz for email references and wrote to all of them. I received at least 3 results, all fabulous reviews.

Arizona Diver,
You might be our first official review of Zeboz. Please do a trip report when you return. I'm sure there are lots & lots of people who would be interested.

I will also be going there at the end of April and can post a report.

Arizona Diver, looks like we will be on the same trip. Looking forward to warm water diving for a change and leaving hte drysuit at home!

Karen

Hi All,

We're Back from a week stay at Zebos (Planencia, Belize). Overall, a good (but not great) trip. On a rating from A to F, I can only give them a C+ and a huge portion of that grade is for effort! The grade itself is very misleading because it represents the average of very high marks and some very low marks. I think our small(?) group of only 19 divers really overwhelmed the very new Zebos resort. The resort itself with it's huge pool, nice rooms, and friendly service was great, but the diving was only OK. From all I've heard about Belize diving, that's not a good thing. We had 2 fantastic wall dives out of 12 total dives. (2/day for 6 days). The other dives ranged from OK to murky. Additionally, Zebos was totally unprepared to support our small(?) group. To be fair, the dive shop had been crippled by a customs snafu that left them totally without equipment (and compressor-less), so the dive shop was just two empty buildings. Sandra & Sean, the dive masters, managed to keep this from being a total disaster by getting lead & tanks from another shop, but the resort lacked adequate boats for doing these dives. Their one small boat had no hope of supporting our 19 divers. A second (very small) boat was pressed into service, and the 1st day of diving was barely salvaged. They upgraded to a larger boat on the second day and conditions improved slightly. (Their effort was excellent, even if the results were marginal). Inside reef diving was only OK, but not Belize-worthy. Too much silt/sand muted everything on the reef. The outside reef dives were 1000% better, but the cramped boat conditions & long & slow boat rides really detracted from the dives. A major plus was the untouched condition of the reef and total lack of other divers. We were alone on what appeared to be untouched & unexplored reefs. This fact alone was a major bonus! There is great potential here, and I expect the dive shop & boat conditions will improve as this resort matures. Be warned, this resort is totally isolated - No town or shops near-by. You come here to dive! The nice rooms, HUGE pool, & service will keep your land-time happy, but they really need to work out several diving-related issues. My unsolicited advice to Zebos, is to move the dive-shop buildings nearer to the water and buy a (much) bigger & faster boat to utilize the world-class wealth of reefs & dive sites within their reach.

Side Note: Dive masters Sandra's & Sean's efforts and abilities to work with limited (zero!) resources were amazing! Despite no dive-shop, no equipment, no-compressor, very limited boat(s) & space, etc..., they did manage to pull it off. Without their efforts, this trip would have been a disaster! No fault, no blame, but Zebos really needed another 1-2 months before serious divers arrived. I know that main stream resorts have spoiled me, but in some ways it was refreshing to be the first group of divers to a “new” area. It kind of brought the "adventure" back into diving....

I’d go it again (after 6-9 months!)

AZ_DIVER

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom