Site info outside Belize City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SATurner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, on the 22nd of Feb 2023, I did a two tank dive out of Belize City. I was told the site names were the J&R Wall and the Double Head Barrel.

I am curious to learn more about the sites. Specifically trying to locate lat/long for the sites. Does anyone have any more details on these two sites? My Google foo appears weak when hunting these details.

Thanks!

Hello, on the 22nd of Feb 2023, I did a two tank dive out of Belize City. I was told the site names were the J&R Wall and the Double Head Barrel.

I am curious to learn more about the sites. Specifically trying to locate lat/long for the sites. Does anyone have any more details on these two sites? My Google foo appears weak when hunting these details.

Thanks!

On my android phone I have my location turned on. When I get back from a dive I can pull up where we were on a map and get pretty close if I can't find exact info online about a site.

It does not give out lat and long likeyouwould think it would. Might be a better app for that, idk.

That's a good idea except for a couple of things.
1. I turned off location data in 2018
2. Phone was in airplane mode so as not to ping a tower and get international roaming

With any luck the shop will return an answer to my info request. I am just trying to come up with backup in the event they don't.

Appreciate the thought though. 🙂

That's a good idea except for a couple of things.
1. I turned off location data in 2018
2. Phone was in airplane mode so as not to ping a tower and get international roaming

With any luck the shop will return an answer to my info request. I am just trying to come up with backup in the event they don't.

Appreciate the thought though. 🙂
I believe you can turn mobile data off but keep location on. When on vaca we turn date off, but keep wifi and location on. Can make free calls via wifi and all.

I get not everyone wants to be "tracked" though.

Did some digging, and found: dive.site - Interactive dive site map and online logbook for divers

1677885754575.png

Tried to match it up with Google Earth.

1677886003056.png

@rob.mwpropane, I was on a cruise ship so I went to airplane mode once we left Galveston. I was 100% good with being disconnected from "life" while floating around with 4000+ strangers. My focus was, "what are we doing next?" and "how many hours till splash?" :D

@lbj40, that somewhat plays into what I remember of the boat ride away from Belize City. Like a big dodo, I got up toward the front of the boat and had limited visibility on the way out. On the way back, I stayed out in the open. I have put yellow line(s) for what it seemed like going out and red lines for what it seemed like coming back. I thought the DM said the J&R wall was first, but I could be mistaken.

The boat ride seemed like a 20-30 minute ordeal on a boat with dual 200 Yamahas running what wasn't wide open, but possibly 3/4 throttle if I had to guess.

I'll keep poking around and see if I can't share if I figure it out.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-04 133343.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-04 133343.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 56
@ibj40, looks like you were pretty spot on. The shop responded and told me we were in the South Gallows area (17.459945, -88.034014).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom