Anyone going to Houston tomorrow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spoke with Dave about the show on Friday and the "rumor" that it would move to Dallas. He stated that the show would stay in Houston but that Dive Chronicles was "looking at other additional locations for shows". I think now would be the time to express to them the desire for a Dallas show also.

You would think as big as this state is we would have an on going Dive /Trade show every year.....Chicago has had one of the best dive shows going on for as long as I can remember Our World Underwater....why there and not here :confused:

I would vote for Austin, but would not show in Dallas.

Hadn't thought about Austin but I think that would be a great compromise. If Dallas and Houston folks would buy into that.

I would not drive outside my area (Houston, DFW, where-ever)for a show-not worth the effort, time, gas,lodging and food.
Then you have the cost of tickets and, as with Seaspace, outrageous parking fees sometimes.
At least, not for the show I saw this last weekend.
It would have to be a show of DEMA quality to get me to travel. I didn't even attend Seaspace but once the last 10 years it was still going.

Scubafast, this is coming from a newbie who attended his first dive show in Houston last Sunday.
WHat did you not like about the show?
I had nothing with which to compare the show, other than my own preconceived notions. I had assumed there would be demos of new gear. I must say I was a bit dissappointed. But agin, it was based on my own assumptions.
I did, however, get to sign up for many drawings.

We'd never been to an actual dive show before, we got the free pass from Dive Chronicles, and my husband was finishing up a business trip in Houston Friday, so I drove 4.5 from Fort Worth with pouring rain 3/4 of the way and I thought it was WELL worth it still.

As ParrotHeadDiver mentioned, just the presentations of Stan Waterman's alone would've made me happy, but then we also attended many of the other presentations as well as enjoyed roaming around the vendor's booth and even buying a couple photos. Mr. Waterman's delivery & presentation are perfectly entertaining and he's very gracious in sharing his experiences in words and pictures/videos.

We didn't stay in the Marriott itself for cost reasons, but it made for a really enjoyable road trip, mostly focused on the hobby we both love. We will definitely look forward to the next one - whether it be here (Dallas) or as Brad mentioned, Houston for this particular show.

Unfortunely I was spoiled by the old Seaspace shows. I remember when it was free.
I also remember when all the big manufacturers would show up with big booths and the
reps where there to demo stuff. I also remember being able to any buy equipment and they had really cheap prices!!
Don't get me wrong- I enjoyed it but wish there was more vendors other than travel and for the cost of travelling to a show out of town is not in my budget. If it isn't local I just can't go-at least not to see dive locations I can only dream about going too.
There was nothing about this show that I did not like, per se, but compared to the past it needs some growing. For a new show, I think it was fine. For first timers-the new has not worn off yet for them and it would be wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom