Anyone gag alot first starting out? Especially above water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps buy him a few mouth pieces, find the one he hates the least and let him keep it in his mouth for a while while walking around the house etc. He would presumably grow accustomed to it and gain familiarity and hopefully, the gagging issue would be completely resolved.

Gagging while on the surface in open water is a serious safety concern (if he gets in challenging conditions). I think it would be worth the effort to attempt to resolve the issue.

As others have said, when renting just bring your own mouthpiece and zip tie. If the shop says anything, just laugh and tell them the old mouth piece needs a new zip tie.
This is a good idea. It seems people are split between the comfobite (less in your mouth but with the roof thing) and a moldable one (seems like more in your mouth but custom fit). I will get both and see which one he prefers.

Yeah, at first I thought it was a strange thing to be a stickler about keeping regs in on the surface, but actually its a good habit to be into.

Mouthpiece makes a difference, as well as if the surface conditions are choppy, tucking chin to chest to keep any waves hitting the top of your head and not in the face.

what on earth are you talking about

MASK ON FACE, REG IN PLACE
FINS ON FEET TILL BUM IN SEAT

they get to the inclement surface and immediately peel off their mask and pull out their reg, to gulp water

what on earth is the driving factor there

/jk

Saw this thread title 5 days ago before I dared to read it. It has now run its useful course and lifespan. I’m just a twisted old man and have no filters (which I attribute to “my issues”). Not offering an excuse here, but one hell of a reason.

Not so much since the divorce.

So there’s some practical application here in terms of making better choices?

Best answer might be from (the otherwise quite useless) FaceBook Group SCUBA Divers Uncensored. Well, maybe not the best, but certainly a different bunch of answers. Funnier.

Back
Top Bottom