Anyone flew Atlantic Southeast Airlines to Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarheeldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have reservations in Caye Caulker for May but US Airways has decided to cancel my flight [won't use them again their customer service has become awful] so I have found a flight with Delta on this airline just wondering if anyone has used them to Belize and how it went
thanks,
greg

I skipped over this thread a few times thinking your meant the Cent American island hopper airline of a similar or maybe same name. Finally looked in, not knowing that ASE flew there now.

I flew Delta extensively from 1980, and more recently ASE more and more until Delta finally stopped flying to Lubbock a few years ago, so I have some dated but numerous experiences with ASE. The key word is dated, but maybe I can help some here...

ASE flies Canadian Regional Jets for Delta, I think they are a wholly owned part of Delta now. Nice little planes, and on that route they use the CRJ700 with 2 seats on each side of the aisle. No First Class. This link should give you an idea of the layout of the plane. I'm getting a hiccup message when I test it, so if it does not work, then go to Delta.com and start a new reservation for the dates you're flying and you'll get an option to review seats.

Expect to have your roll-on gate-checked, so don't pack anything very breakable like cameras or that might be desired on the plane like meds or reading material. Carry those in a small back pack.

I suppose you're connecting in Atlanta, but ASE only flied as far as Belize City, I think. How are you getting to your final destination? :pilot:

DandyDon:
I skipped over this thread a few times thinking your meant the Cent American island hopper airline of a similar or maybe same name. Finally looked in, not knowing that ASE flew there now.

I flew Delta extensively from 1980, and more recently ASE more and more until Delta finally stopped flying to Lubbock a few years ago, so I have some dated but numerous experiences with ASE. The key word is dated, but maybe I can help some here...

ASE flies Canadian Regional Jets for Delta, I think they are a wholly owned part of Delta now. Nice little planes, and on that route they use the CRJ700 with 2 seats on each side of the aisle. No First Class. This link should give you an idea of the layout of the plane. I'm getting a hiccup message when I test it, so if it does not work, then go to Delta.com and start a new reservation for the dates you're flying and you'll get an option to review seats.

Expect to have your roll-on gate-checked, so don't pack anything very breakable like cameras or that might be desired on the plane like meds or reading material. Carry those in a small back pack.

I suppose you're connecting in Atlanta, but ASE only flied as far as Belize City, I think. How are you getting to your final destination? :pilot:
Thanks Don,
thanks for the info i had never heard of this airline until I booked them through Delta I was booked on USAIRWAYS but they have dropped their Sunday flight. Thanks for letting me know something about them. I will be flying through Atlanta and either using the water taxi or island hopper to get from belize city to caulker.
I guess this must be a fairly new route for ASA since no one seems to be used them.
thanks again,
greg

Tar
I have used Delta several times in past year with out any problems. They use ASE for most of there flights. Delta flys down on Sat only and ASE on all the other days.
Delta does add flights during the peak season.
The ASE planes are MD8o which hold about 90 people. AS stated by Dandy you will have to curb check you carry on.
All in all no problems
steve
ecologic Divers

I always used to think US Airways the best of the airlines serving Belize, but obviously a lot's changed since I last used them. I've used Delta a few times and had no complaints, unlike American which I think is truly awful. My favourite airlines don't fly to Belize at all.

I had 4 Million total miles with Delta when they stopped serving west Texas. Oh, I'd spent virtually all of them over the 26 years I've been flying them, but I still got lifetime VIP upgrades at every turn. :crying: Now they're gone.

Fortunately, Continental honors many of the the lifetime benefits, but not all. Anyway, I always like Delta a lot, and ASA after they became a wholly owned part of Delta and not just a contrator - and ater they got rid of those props they used to fly into Lubbock. :pilot:

ecosvl:
Tar
I have used Delta several times in past year with out any problems. They use ASE for most of there flights. Delta flys down on Sat only and ASE on all the other days.
Delta does add flights during the peak season.
The ASE planes are MD8o which hold about 90 people. AS stated by Dandy you will have to curb check you carry on.
All in all no problems
steve
ecologic Divers
What do you mean by curb checking my carry on? I usually carry on my regs & computers in 1 backpack & camera & laptop in another, will I be able to do this?
And thanks everyone for all the great info. I have always flown USAIRWAYS but them cancelling my flight has made me nervous Delta might do the same. Yes USAirways customer service has really been hard to deal with, no one seems to know whats going on there.
thanks,
Greg

He meant gate check...
tarheeldiver:
What do you mean by curb checking my carry on? I usually carry on my regs & computers in 1 backpack & camera & laptop in another, will I be able to do this?
And thanks everyone for all the great info. I have always flown USAIRWAYS but them cancelling my flight has made me nervous Delta might do the same. Yes USAirways customer service has really been hard to deal with, no one seems to know whats going on there.
thanks,
Greg
For smaller aircraft, like the Regional Jets and any props, you will usually have your roll-on taken from you at the door of the plane, and given back to you as you exit the plane. The smaller planes don't have as large of overehead as the larger ones. This is why I said...
You do know that your roll-on with regs, computers, etc is almost certainly on your plane, but you do not have it in the cabin with you - and cameras can get broken in them. That's why I suggested that cameras go in a smaller backpack, along with meds, your laptop, stuff you really want to have handled only by you.

There is a risk of someone grabbing the wrong one on exit, as they all look alike, so I tie colored ribbons to mine. Used the same colors on my buds, and he grabbed mine by mistake still.

You may also lose personal contact of your back pack on the island hopper flight, but you can watch it loaded and unloaded. Shout loudly "very fragile"...! It might be good to learn the Spanish words for the phrase.

DandyDon:
He meant gate check...

For smaller aircraft, like the Regional Jets and any props, you will usually have your roll-on taken from you at the door of the plane, and given back to you as you exit the plane. The smaller planes don't have as large of overehead as the larger ones. This is why I said...

You do know that your roll-on with regs, computers, etc is almost certainly on your plane, but you do not have it in the cabin with you - and cameras can get broken in them. That's why I suggested that cameras go in a smaller backpack, along with meds, your laptop, stuff you really want to have handled only by you.

There is a risk of someone grabbing the wrong one on exit, as they all look alike, so I tie colored ribbons to mine. Used the same colors on my buds, and he grabbed mine by mistake still.

You may also lose personal contact of your back pack on the island hopper flight, but you can watch it loaded and unloaded. Shout loudly "very fragile"...! It might be good to learn the Spanish words for the phrase.
thanks Don
thats what I thought just wanted to be sure
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom