Anyone ever see a sea turtle in CA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I guess its another reason to look up every now and then
I've seen a couple leatherbacks over the years off Santa Cruz. They were pretty far off shore. Saw one salmon fishing Soquel hole and another fishing albacore. There is a chance you'll see one if you keep looking.
Good luck in your search:)

Thanks.

So at least one local sighting. Sounds like you were on the surface, but since they were in the wild, it counts.

Until I read the article, I didn't even know turtles were a possibility. It sounds like SoCal is more likely (need to get down more), but I can add them to the list of things I want to see in local waters. Another reason to look up into the water column every now and then.

ive seen turtles on catalina. ha a video even

I have only seen one Leatherback turtle and that was in Mexico-- either Baja or the mainland - Both were noted as locations were turtles were hunted for food.'

So many years ago when Ensenada Baja, Mexico was a dirty, dusty, wild destination for only the most rugged, in the middle of town directly across the street from "Gordo's Sports fishing" was the "Turtle factory." It was a Mexican open air either dusty or muddy floor Turtle café where patrons sat on recycled automobile seats with tables of unknown origin to eat what was considered a delicacy-- Turtle stew .

Turtles were captured in the gulf transported by truck over some of the worst roads known to man of beast to the market which was the turtle factory in Ensenada, where they were butchered and converted to turtle stew .

All this was a long time ago-The Turtle factory has been gone for many years replaced by modern buildings and paved streets- It is now illegal to hunt of kill turtles in Mexico

In 1960 I purchased a VW Kombi Van and took off for the mainland of Mexico searching for warm clear water and the abundance of game. One stop was Lototobampo (Lo to to bampo ) on the way down a dusty road to the beach I came upon a dumping grounds for turtle shells. Of course I stopped and walked among them. A particular one a huge leather back was a s large as the front of my VW Van Thought very seriously about some how attaching it to the van and bringing it back to my beloved California but I had three more weeks of travel and exploration--So I unceremoniously set it down with the rest of the shells

Which brings to SoCal-- Have any of you been to Cabrillo Marine museum in San Pedro ? There was a 1100 pound leather back taken off our coast on display. Harry Vetter a veteran LA CO UW Instructor and NAUI instructor #4, father was one of the workmen who prepared the turtle for display under the WPA programs of the ":Great Depression" of the 1930s

And so it was --the daz of our dives....

Sam Miller, III
lkc

Last edited:
I often stop to think how lucky we are in SE Florida to have such frequent turtle sightings. We often see Loggerhead, Green, and Hawksbill turtles. I have seen a few Leatherbacks. Last Fall, I saw a Kemp's Ridley turtle in West Palm. Yes, we are very fortunate
upload_2017-7-1_10-51-28.png

I often stop to think how lucky we are in SE Florida to have such frequent turtle sightings. We often see Loggerhead, Green, and Hawksbill turtles. I have seen a few Leatherbacks. Last Fall, I saw a Kemp's Ridley turtle in West Palm. Yes, we are very fortunate
View attachment 416354

Yes, but we have cold water and less visibility....

actually, Calif diving has its charms. Best place to get amorous attention from a seal, for example.

I did enjoy diving the Keys (saw a turtle, an eagle ray, and a big Nassau grouper if I recall), and would love to get back to Florida.

Yes, but we have cold water and less visibility....

actually, Calif diving has its charms. Best place to get amorous attention from a seal, for example.

I did enjoy diving the Keys (saw a turtle, an eagle ray, and a big Nassau grouper if I recall), and would love to get back to Florida.
I did my 1st 10 years of diving in Southern California and still get in dives every time I visit San Diego. The diving is beautiful, complimentary to diving in other locations :)

Back
Top Bottom