Anyone ever see a sea turtle in CA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the SF Chronicle is reporting a swarm of jellies moved into Monterey last night, along with some molas

Stinging jellyfish fill Monterey Harbor, clog aquarium's intake pipe

So it may be a good weekend to see molas ... but you may get stung for your efforts.

Can there be turtles following as well?..... although I have no plans to dive this weekend, so wont really help me. Maybe next weekend.

Last edited:
One of the Monterey whale watching companies reports seeing a leatherback turtle a few days this month.

One of the Monterey whale watching companies reports seeing a leatherback turtle a few days this month.

A recent local sighting!! You're getting my hopes up. Im gonna be looking up instead of down for the next couple of months.

A little scubaboard research reveals that leatherbacks spend most of their time far offshore foraging.

So my shore dives aren't well suited to seeing one.

But seeing as this is most likely a quixotic quest, I'll just stick to shore dives and still hope to see one, along with the GPO at Lobos, a dolphin, a whale and a friendly landlord.

Hey Chavo... Check out this thread from SoCal forum...
Marine Room - Leopard sharks are out again.

Lol, so here I am obsessing over seeing a turtle in CA waters (which realistically wont happen locally), and this dude nonchalantly drops video of sea turtles in his post, where he's mostly focusing on leopard sharks & rays -- he barely mentions the sea turtles, before discussing cormorants and the post-dive snacks he had...

there is no justice in this cold world.

But sounds like I need to get to San Diego if I want to improve my odds of seeing a Cali sea turtle -- youve got this dude nonchalantly sighting one, and a New Yorker of all folks, randomly seeing on while she was snorkeling there. Edit - Both sightings snorkeling near "Marine Room"

Thanks for letting me know about the video Rob.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom