Anyone ever go through Mexico City?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep DD, those are my concerns. I'm less concerned about missing the second flight, as the first flight is direct and has a good on-time record. I figure if I leave myself plenty of time to claim my luggage, get through I&C, check in for my next flight and do it allll again I should be ok. I'm looking into the need to bus to the other terminal and how long that could take.

I'm more concerned about my bags, but on a direct, I'm hopeful they'll make it there with me, just hope they don't get misplaced.

It's about 1/3 the cost of doing it this way, which is why I'm looking at it. Heck, that could be TWO trip! LOL

If the dates all work out, it could be an interesting adventure! :)
By direct, I suppose you mean non-stop - and that is great. Just getting from Seattle to Coz in 2 flights is an accomplishment, and yeah - a non-stop to Mexico city with a good record is a good bet. We once had some bags no-show in Houston IAH after a non-stop. I explained that we had a boat to catch that night, the agent advised that they'd forward the bags to our next port for delivery, but I explained that we were not cruising to a port, we were going to a Flower Gardens liveaboard and if they couldn't find the bags now - our whole trip was ruined. They looked again and found them where they'd fell off the trailer there. :silly:

I remember another trip where my bags got left in Puerto Rico while I board a small cruise boat in St.Marteen. Those bags took 5 days to catch up to me, but that was before scuba so not much gear missing - and I just bought new clothes every day to wear, at the airlines expense. :cool: Bags usually make it tho, and yours should on a non-stop, as should you. If your plane is delayed in Seattle, you can call the other airline to explain and they will probably allow some slack.

If by "1/3 the cost of doing it this way" you mean this way is 1/3 the cost of buying a Coz ticket, cool! :thumb: Some divers fly to Texas airports on ticket-1 to connect to charter airlines on ticket-2, and those charters are not flexible at all - but it usually works ok.

Now, I am not finding any non-stops from SEA to Mexico City, nor non-stops from there to CZM? That could be my mistake tho...??

Did you have a flight with a layover, or two separately booked flights on different airlines?

Debra

Flight booked with layover. Orbitz or Expedia, booked as part of same itinerary. Half dozen times with similar itinerary, never an issue on any of your concerns. Wouldn't hesitate to do same again.

Had same concerns first time so I understand your thought process. Ping me if you have additional questions.

Cheers

Mark

Thank Mark :) Just for comparison, I've been trying to find an itinerary through Mexico City (as opposed to a US hub), but can't seem to do it online. Doesn't really matter though, my coupon is to Mexico City, not Cancun/Coz.

I'm looking at flying to Mexico City and then booking a flight/hotel package from Mexico City to Cozumel (Cancun Airport). The flight/hotel deals are very reasonable this way. It just means two flights, and twice through check in and C&I. Doesn't sound like a big deal if I give myself enough time, unless there is a luggage issue.

DD...sorry for the confusion, I was planning on leaving from LA as I was scheduled to be down there a few times this year for business, but found out yesterday it's been cancelled, so back to the Sea-LAX-Mexico City scenario. Still at no cost to me, and much cheaper than any Seattle-Coz/Cancun flights. Just one more connection to mess things up, but it's with Alaska and I've had very good luck with them over the years. LOVE flying Alaska!

Anybody know about changing terminals in Mexico City? I read I'll need to get on a bus or taxi?! Can that be correct?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom