Anyone ever go through Mexico City?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kixy1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Been home a bit over 24 hours and need to start planning my next trip! LOL Just realized we can get to Mexico City for free and the packages from there are very reasonable! We're thinking of heading to Mexico City and then changing planes to get to Coz. Anybody ever done this? As we would be booked on two, separate flights, I'm wondering how long I would need to get through immigration and customs with my luggage and then check in for a domestic flight....

I would probably take a look at Interjet (interjet.com.mx) and Volaris (volaris.com.mx) for cheap flights from Mexico City to Cozumel. Bear in mind the baggage allowances are very low, so it´s a good idea to prepay (in Volaris this is possible, not with Interjet) for some extra allowance. I would schedule something like 3 hours between flights to make sure you have enough time to go through immigration and customs and then off to your next flight. It might also get complicated if you have to go from Terminal 1 to 2 or viceversa and you would have to take a bus to do that.

The airport itself or connections are not any worse or better than Heathrow or JFK. You also might want to look at Cancun and the bag drag ( which is really not that big of a deal).

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Have done this from San Francisco many times via Mexicana/Aero Mexico. It's not that complicated. I've stood in line a few times for about 30 mins tops. Other times it's been 5 mins. Finding your way around the first time might take a bit longer than normal but you'll find the help you need if your comfortable with Mexico in general, which I suspect you are. If the rate is right, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Thanks guys! I'm pretty sure I'll need to change terminals as I'll be arriving international and then will continue on as domestic. Sounds like three hours should be good? I just hope they don't misplace my luggage, as I won't be able to get it until I go through on my way home. That would make me grumpy...

Hey Dave, thanks for the input! I met you on the beach about a week ago, (you were making fun of my exit strategy from the boat LOL) Nice chatting with you. I'm a pro at the bag drag, and I'll need to do it from Mexico City. I enjoy the nap on the bus after a long flight, MUCH more comfy than airline seats!

I was actually going to say "I'm an old pro at the bag drag", but somehow that sentence gives me hilarious visuals of an old bag, in drag...

Never lost my luggage. Never had to change terminals. Your mileage may vary. Cheers

Hey Kixy! Be sure to e mail me before your next trip. That is dave@aldora.com.

Dave

Never lost my luggage. Never had to change terminals. Your mileage may vary. Cheers

Did you have a flight with a layover, or two separately booked flights on different airlines?

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2013 at 06:43 PM ----------

Hey Kixy! Be sure to e mail me before your next trip. That is dave@aldora.com.

Dave

Be glad to! I was thinking you might be kind enough to share some pearls of wisdom on traveling, but then realized you probably just want to know how to jump outta the boat all lady like, now don't ya? :wink: I'm happy to share my secrets, but even with your obviously superior skills, it may take a day or two before you can master not getting the coat wet.

Hope you're still on island enjoying the weather that looked spectacular as we flew away....and find that elusive seahorse!

Debra

There are some risks in booking 2 separate tickets in hopes of flying them in order. Your luggage is not checked thru to final destination so if a bag is delayed on trip-1, it may not make trip-2. Sometimes an airline will agree to deliver late bags wherever, but there is a control loss nonetheless. Too, if your trip-1 flight is delayed and you no-show for trip-2, you may be stuck. :eek:

It'd be better to explore possibilities of a combined ticket, using your FF-miles or whatever for the first part but still issued on one ticket. That may not be possible, so - enjoy the travel adventure. :pilot:

Yep DD, those are my concerns. I'm less concerned about missing the second flight, as the first flight is direct and has a good on-time record. I figure if I leave myself plenty of time to claim my luggage, get through I&C, check in for my next flight and do it allll again I should be ok. I'm looking into the need to bus to the other terminal and how long that could take.

I'm more concerned about my bags, but on a direct, I'm hopeful they'll make it there with me, just hope they don't get misplaced.

It's about 1/3 the cost of doing it this way, which is why I'm looking at it. Heck, that could be TWO trip! LOL

If the dates all work out, it could be an interesting adventure! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom