Anyone ever dive Utila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thinking of hitting Utila for a week in July and was wondering if anyone has been there. If so, any suggestion or comments?

Thanks all,
Soda

You'll love Utilla if you like laid back and intimate. Lots of good dive shops to choose from, as well as lodging and food places. I believe all of the dive shops are on the south side, in utila town proper ( don't know if it has a separate name), or nearby remote resorts. There are also a few out on the keys as well. It is a really cute place and is frequented by alot of young people with backpacks, and divers, some ex pats, and of course, the locals. Don't expect to see any big vehicles on the roadways, or should I say wide sidewalks?

Sweet, thanks

I dove there about 8 years ago. It was beautiful. Very undeveloped both topside and under the water. I stayed at Laguna Beach. All inclusive. Top notch. I think you can stay on the mainland for less $. Island is supposed to be a major whale shark location now. Reefs are nice but I would have liked to have seen bigger marine life.

I just got back from three awesome months in Utila becoming a DM. What a great place! The people are friendly, the town quiet, and the diving fantastic. I definately recommend Tex down at Ecomarine. The staff is very experienced (most having about three years on the island) and friendly, the equipment new and well maintained, the boats fast, and a great captain. Not to mention they have a friendly environment where you can sit on the dock drinking soda or beer enjoying the sun. You wont be another diver in the crowd but rather, will find instant friends. Accomodations can range from $1-$35 a night so anything in your price range. If you are looking for great diving for a great price, especially to get any of your diving certifications, Utila is the place to go and Ecomarine is the shop! PM me if you have any more questions.

I went the first week of March. Loved it so much, went back the last week of March. I dived with Tex at Gunters Ecomarine both times and really enjoyed the atmosphere there. Great diving. Great people. I stayed at Countryside with one of the DMT's on the island. Food was really cheap and had some great meals. Tried a new restaurant each meal. I met Cudabait and his beautiful wife. It was really just a great place to go. I too plan to be back in July. Maybe I'll see you there.

When you go be sure to use bug spray every day all of the time even if you think you are not getting bitten. It will save you from 2 weeks of itching when you get home. Sand fleas are bad and you don't even know you when they hit you. You will love it even if you do get eaten alive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom