Anyone ever dive athens scuba park?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Athen had fish at one time. Check the old diving Texas book. It has fish in Athens. It has now has no fish because it is treated.

Blue Lagoon has no fish due to natural water chemistry problems. I think its copper. TAMU has successfully introduced a cichlid into one lagoon last I heard.

I totally disagree about treating twin lakes. I like the fish and life. I do not enjoy diving dead water.

TwoBit

If you want to dive in 50+ viz, go to the carrib or a swimming pool. Twin lakes has tons of large bass, crappie, perch and wonderful plant life. The viz does get up to 20+ ft. so there's no need to KILL all the life in the lake, let alone Mike would give you a very strange look (like, are you wearin' your STUPID sign) if you made such a suggestion. LOL :wink:

dive safe,

tony

TwoBitTxn once bubbled...
I totally disagree about treating twin lakes. I like the fish and life. I do not enjoy diving dead water.

Submerged airplanes don't change much. Once you've seen it, that's pretty much it. The marine life is the only thing that really changes. That's what keeps it interesting...variety is the spice of life..kill off those fish and all your left with is basically a swimming pool with a muddy bottom. How many times can you look at a motorcycle somebody dumped in the water and not get bored. Seein' what the fish are up to is what keeps the diving interesting.

I dove CSSP about a month ago to complete the advance and Nitrox dives. They recommend entering the silo from an inverted position to avoid a silt-out. It didn’t work. I had to build a PVC cube that was color-coded. It took 2 minutes on a test run at 30 ft. It took 6 minutes in the silo because I could not see the difference in the colors, even with a light. I guess this shows the effect of being narc’d at depth.

Hey TwoBit,

Check the picture under my profile. Is this what you were looking for?

I say NO to chemicals in the water. Like Zagnut says, how many times can you look at junk dumped in the lake before you're bored with it? The fish, turtles and frogs are what keeps it intersting. Besides, Mike would never even consider dumping chemicals in the lake.

If you have to have better vis that the locals spots offer, head to the Caribbean. We're happy with our green, low vis lake!

TwoBit....The water in Blue Lagoon is high in alkaline, not copper. It's from the limestone around the quarry. The small bottom dwelling fish that A&M put there a few years ago are African Cichlids from Lake Tanyanika in Africa. They thrive in high alkaline water, preferrably abot 8.0 I believe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom