Anyone dove Joe's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the update Dwight. Unfortunately that's pretty much what I expected to hear though. Damn shame for me because it's literally right in my back yard. I cannot even imagine 1000 people in that quarry! :shakehead:

I guess I'll just have to burn a little gas to go diving this year...

Thanks for the info. My daughter and I are newly certified SW Ohio divers (under 10 dives) and were thinking about making the trip...looks like we will pass. glen

If I'm not teaching or Working & you happen to go to Pennyroyal sometime, look me up for a few dives!

I will for sure! We're going to try to plan a weekend out that way in a few weeks.

Thanks for the info. My daughter and I are newly certified SW Ohio divers (under 10 dives) and were thinking about making the trip...looks like we will pass. glen

My sentiments exactly. 1000 swimmers? Uh, no gracias.

Hi all! We dove Joes last Monday. When we got there I was pleasently surprised how good it looked. Workers were walking around cleaning up trash and the pavillions. We tried to stay out of their way and they were all very courteous and did a good job. Visability was about 10 ft and about 78 at the surface with the first thermocline at 20 ft. At that point I cant tell you what the temp was because I was freezing and missing my drysuit lol. We were not sure what to expect when He opened at 1:00pm. We thought we would be packing up and high tailing out of there. That didnt happen. There was alot of people there, mostly floaters but it was a quiet peaceful day. The loudest noise was laughter, wich is always nice! We had the New Horizons pavillion to ourselves and no one tried to run us off or invade space. It was a really nice day and before we new it we had been there 6 hours. I think Joe is trying really hard to make it better for everyone, divers and floaters. Miss you guys. Hope to hear from you soon.
Love
Julie

It's a shallow quarry about an hour NE of Louisville, KY, just outside of LaGrange, KY. It's probably about as big as the shallow part of Pennyroyal, maybe a little less & gets to about 35- 40 ft deep (if you dig a little). A few sunken things in there (police car & a small yacht called the "New Yorker"), but not a huge amount. More or less a training site or a site to the local LDS's or a site for the locals to just blow some bubbles for a while & practice skills. Vis is spotty with some places being rather clear & other places, near 0 vis. The quarry is called after its (sometimes eccentric) owner Joe. It is also known as Falling Rock Quarry. The facilities are very primative with a few shelters, equipment racks, porta- potties. No air fills or dive shops around, or near-by, no water, food or much of anything. As of the last few years, has become quite a swimming hole & party grounds. Pretty accurate description, guys???

Not entirely.
Joes, or Falling Rock Park is approximately 7 acres in water....comparable to Mermit at 8.5. I have hit 40 without touching the bottom. It is shallow which is why it makes a great training facility. There are several platforms at different depths, about 12 sunken boats, including 2 cabin cruisers and a vertical sailboat. There is also a 3 wheel ATV, a phone booth, and some statues. Visabilty can range from 0 to 20 feet, depending on who is trying to dig deeper. There is a Walmart, Kroger and several restaurants less then 3 miles away. Paradise dive shop is a 15 min drive away. Joes has gone thru allot of changes in the past few years and our good friends on here know how frustrated we have been by them, but I honestly think he is trying to find a happy medium.
Love and happy diving!
Julie and Lou

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom