Anyone dove Joe's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpsexton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What are the conditions so far this year?

You know that I haven't and don't plan to. I also know that Chris has been busy with work and hasn't dove either.

I haven't been diving yet this year! Everything but Joe's is such a long drive I've just not had the time. I was hoping someone would report back that it wasn't too bad! :wink:

I would say that since school is out that the others will be out in force. Go early in the morning before their drunk butts get out of bed.

It's a shallow quarry about an hour NE of Louisville, KY, just outside of LaGrange, KY. It's probably about as big as the shallow part of Pennyroyal, maybe a little less & gets to about 35- 40 ft deep (if you dig a little). A few sunken things in there (police car & a small yacht called the "New Yorker"), but not a huge amount. More or less a training site or a site to the local LDS's or a site for the locals to just blow some bubbles for a while & practice skills. Vis is spotty with some places being rather clear & other places, near 0 vis. The quarry is called after its (sometimes eccentric) owner Joe. It is also known as Falling Rock Quarry. The facilities are very primative with a few shelters, equipment racks, porta- potties. No air fills or dive shops around, or near-by, no water, food or much of anything. As of the last few years, has become quite a swimming hole & party grounds. Pretty accurate description, guys???

I recognize it now that you called it Falling Rock. I found it in a google search a while back, but didn't really think it looked too appetizing. Thanks

I was out there Mon/Tues in the morning with students. Vis was 5' or less and we were the only people there other than workers. I was told by Joe and a couple other people that there were 1000 people out there on Sunday. 980 swimmers/floaters and 20 divers. 1000 people is not a exageration but actual fact. The swimmers are destroying the underwater attractions. The Sword was broken out of the rock and missing, the police car has a huge dent in the hood and the windshield is all smashed in. Who knows what else is damaged. Joe only sees $$$$ and frankly doesn't give a crap about the divers anymore. I avoid that quarry now unless I absolutely have to go out there with students.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom