Anyone diving a 5' hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Under the right arm, up across the chest to the left side of the neck, then around the neck and into the mouth.

Snug up as necessary.

That ends up having to run way up under the arm pit. Creates lots of pressure on the mouth if not snugged way up under the arm.... AND gets tangled with my bungied backup unless I run it over the top of my backup (not necessarily bad) I spose.

Is that the best way?

I don't have a canister light.... and thought a 5 footer would be a good compromise since this rig will be used for open water diving (no cave or wreck). Single tank.

Looks like maybe the 6 footer would have been a better choice for setting up without a canister light....?

Anyone else using a 5' primary.... would appreciate your thoughts.
Would love to see a photo of someone rigged with a 5 footer comfortably.

Thanks.

That ends up having to run way up under the arm pit. Creates lots of pressure on the mouth if not snugged way up under the arm.... AND gets tangled with my bungied backup unless I run it over the top of my backup (not necessarily bad) I spose.
I have never noticed any pressure on my mouth. The hose runs directly under my right arm (with a 5' hose there really shouldn't be any slack there) across my chest, and ends up with plenty of slack as it comes around the right side of my neck. Also, you should make it a matter of strict habit to put on your backup prior to your primary. A tangle with your primary and backup would be a far less than acceptable outcome in an OOA situation and it is completly avoidable by putting your backup on first.

As far as the overall length is concerned, there seems to be a fair number of people who are more comfortable with a 6' hose. I figure that what works for different people is a function of their overall gear arrangement and their height and weight. If I felt like I was getting shorted by a 5' hose, I would certainly order a 6' hose ASAP.

6' fits me fine - I'm 6'3" and 220lb though. Might make a difference.

I tried a 5 footer and hated it, felt too short all the time. Switched to a 7 footer and viola' it's perfect and gave me more room to adjust to different rigs.

I like my 5 footer. Nice and snug.

Absolutely no complaints about my 5' hose....

until I switched to an H-valve configuration.

Now it sometimes seems too short, and I have to snug it up again.

Guess I'll switch to a 7' one day soon.

I use a 5 footer and have had no problems. Guess it depends on body size...

Back
Top Bottom