Anyone dive this area north of Embassy suites on Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim,

Hope this convinces you that what you're seeing is not an undersea ridge.

http://205.156.4.52/cgi-bin/EyeSpy....nttype=image/jpeg&closeup.x=106&closeup.y=118

I'd bet that the dark area is simply either changes in surface reflection caused by currents, wind... or cloud shadow -- and that the image you see is the result of merging and blending several images. A lot of photoshop type work has gone into producing these maps.

BTW, my last job I worked for Space Imaging (the satellite imaging company). I work as a cartographer and GIS developer and as such I work with imagery all the time.

Mark

duh - I should have just pulled out my charts for that area ... oh well, thanks again Mark.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Gonna see you Saturday?

I'll ask David. While I'm tempted to take the kayak to the St. Anthony, I'd like to do Honolua bay. I've never even snorkeled there because of the parking / hike / congestion.... Being able to park close would be a great incentive. I couldn't be there by 8 though - maybe 9. Long drive. Let ya know.
Mark

Howard is the expert but it sure does look like something is there. The charts don't lie, cept for that one time there was this rock ya see....
I think we should name it "Tims reef" anyway.

Back
Top Bottom