Anyone distinguish between their 'sacrificial gear' vs their 'nice' gear ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, so a few weeks ago I picked up a Great deal on a used Oceanic GT 3/CDX 5 (with DVT 1st stage) reg set, included a classic Omega II octo (black) and BCD hose....the set is essentially mint condition, can't really tell it's even been dove. I'm refreshing some LP hose O-rings and swapping hose locations around a bit right now, which got me to thinking about this subject. My plan is to use this set as a 'beater/loaner' set where I won't have a heart attack if the boat crew slaps it around or drags it across the deck, etc. (or if it gets stolen/lost in transit to the dive destination.) I've also got an old (but still very nice shape Zeagle Ranger that's around 15 yrs old) that is 'retired' from my main fleet but something I'd likely use under 'combat' conditions (like Bonaire shore diving) where it's expected gear will be dragged/thrown and generally abused.

Does anyone segregate their gear like this ? I've got some uber nice dive toys I'd use on a liveaboard situation, where I'm the only one touching my gear, and theft or 'sand /rock dragging abuse' isn't going to be an issue, but in a situation where I might have less control over dive crew or local conditions I've got 'sacrifice' gear.

The original 32 " BC inflator hose looks fine, but was too long so I just swapped it out for a new 24 " inflator hose instead. ...and installed a universal Atomic swivel hose on the primary 2nd-stage.

Last edited:
I don't loan my gear out although have given spares away on occasion. I don't let crew/staff etc touch my gear, ever. I'm OCD.

I feel the same way, but I've been in situations where it happens anyway, so I plan for those situations. :)

I feel the same way, but I've been in situations where it happens anyway, so I plan for those situations. :)

I hear ya. Most of my diving is either local beach dives so I have total control or liveaboard in which case I make it very clear from the get go that I don't want people touching my gear. So far I've had no problems, touch wood.

---------- Post added November 14th, 2015 at 11:59 PM ----------

FWIW I still tip the same as if the crew did everything for me.

I hear ya. Most of my diving is either local beach dives so I have total control or liveaboard in which case I make it very clear from the get go that I don't want people touching my gear. So far I've had no problems, touch wood.

---------- Post added November 14th, 2015 at 11:59 PM ----------

FWIW I still tip the same as if the crew did everything for me.

Yup, I can't be around my gear 24/7 as a gear bodyguard, unfortunately....and not everyone 'gets the memo' to leave my stuff alone, especially when staff and boat crew move around during the day. I tip the crew the same as well, I'm just very picky about my gear on how it's set up and how it's treated so I prefer to deal with all that myself.

I politely make it very clear that I don't want anybody touching my gear unless specifically requested (stage bottles handed off, etc). I tip as if they were doing all the work. However, if they do not understand the simple request to keep their hands to themselves, I politely take up the issue with the captain, and they do not get tipped. I make it clear that their tip is contingent on leaving my stuff alone.

So no, I don't distinguish between "sacrificial" gear or nice gear. I have gear that I am willing to loan, but it is in no way lower quality or less regularly maintained.

Reactions: Jax
I politely make it very clear that I don't want anybody touching my gear unless specifically requested (stage bottles handed off, etc). I tip as if they were doing all the work. However, if they do not understand the simple request to keep their hands to themselves, I politely take up the issue with the captain, and they do not get tipped. I make it clear that their tip is contingent on leaving my stuff alone.

So no, I don't distinguish between "sacrificial" gear or nice gear. I have gear that I am willing to loan, but it is in no way lower quality or less regularly maintained.

Don't worry, even my 'sacrifice' gear is in very good shape/condition and well maintained....just not as fancy/expensive as the 'good' stuff.

No sacrificial gear here either. But then I have never dove anywhere that the crew sets up your gear so that hasn't been an issue. At most they check air on or assist if requested. Shore diving Bonaire is tempting, things can get pretty beat up that way. But over the years I have become less concerned by cosmetic wear but still just as fussy about maintenance. The only thing I'd say that I still baby is my Petrel.

yes, along with my normal kit, I have gear for river drifts, the quarry, salt, loaner, etc.

Being a fresh water diver, I have a collection of pristine old chrome plated brass first and second stages that will never see salt water..

I use them when the mood strikes.....

I have "retired" gear that I hold onto for "just in case" reasons. I maintain my own gear with the exception of vis & hydro. I learned a long, long time ago - if you take care of X then X will take care of you - yeah, I'm from that generation.

I also, do not want anyone messing with my equipment nor "helping" me gear up. Since I mostly dive solo I have a very set sequence. If someone "helps" I remove everything and start over.

I prefer to dive the exact same kit (though exposure stuff changes with differing coldness). In extreme conditions I'd rather have gear that my reflexes are tuned to. If it get's damaged, I'll simply replace it with new.

My retired gear is a temporary replacement if I lose something or something breaks. I'm happy to loan it as it's in great shape, just found something I liked better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom