Anyone been to lake murray lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol well, I know you can get to 78 feet. I plan to push deeper next time I'm there And yeah, you kinda have to climb down a path to get in. And scramble up to get out. But hey, all in the name of diving!

I think I know that metal structure, does anyone know how deep you can go there?

Last time I was there (years ago) you had to mountain goat down to the water, and I wasn't interested in doing that in dbl 108's

At the metal tower you find a rope leading you down to the Crap Trap box....an old rusted training platform I am thinking. Secure a line to it and head down the slop towards the lakes middle.....you might find 100-105ffw. If lake is up maybe deeper but that is in question.

Lol well, I know you can get to 78 feet. I plan to push deeper next time I'm there And yeah, you kinda have to climb down a path to get in. And scramble up to get out. But hey, all in the name of diving!

We run ropes to assist in repling in the water and pulling our way out of the water. O'h boy is that fun---NO!

PS----- never dove that spill way area.....assumed it was shallow but I guess not from what I have read.

We put in at the crab shack or tower and then we swam over.
That is the Billy Goat entrance.

The entire area is hilly. It sure earns the name 'Climb and Dive.'
This is were booties that have sneaker soles really make the difference.

Happy diving.
Andrew

Hmmm.....where do you put in to dive the spillway? I might have to check that out next time I go up there....

Funny you guys should mention all of that. Ha!

Now I understand. A group of us have dived that concrete structure w/ metal tower before. Funny you should mention crab trap. Do a scubaboard search for threads containing the word 'crab trap' with timeliner as the originator/contributor to the thread. We have a pretty entertaining thread written about that very structure.

As far as mountain goating down the trail to the water, that particular dive has forced me to add climbing rope to my gear bag. I am not kidding. Ask me the next time you see me. I actually carry mountain climbing rope in my dive gear bag because of that dive. Ha!

psiborg,
The spillway is located at that 'low spot' in the highway just to the west of the structure/tower. When you hit the low spot in the roadway, hang a sharp turn towards the water. There is a short dirt road there. It runs right out onto a spillway beach. Again, I have never dived there. Looks like a flat, featureless mudflat to me. I make this assessment from my own eyeball observations of the area as well as consultations with lake maps.

For anyone reading this thread, we are not talking about the fabled Tucker Tower.

Edit:
Found the crab trap thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/texas-swamp-divers/118781-bbq-pit.html

Last edited:
I've heard there are some deep spots in murray but I mostly go to the cove to practice, when diving deep is good I'm usually at Travis.

Its just killing the wallet to go sat and take the wife, then go sun and take the kid 80 bucks + fuel for two days of running is killing me, so I like to go to murray when there is some vis, to save some green.

Until travis comes back up I'll be diving shallow!

From Dallas per Mapquest....Austin, 200 miles...... Broken Bow 195 miles :D full and deep, a bit cooler, a LOT clearer at depth :)

From here, CSSP 135 miles, BB 105......

~tony

Austin, 200 miles...... Broken Bow 195 miles :D full and deep, a bit cooler, a LOT clearer at depth :)

Working on a line project in travis so thats my excuse to dive deep there, I'll have to check out broken bow at some point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom