Anybody used a 60# bung OMS wing for singles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder how much of the difference you notice is from the backplate setup? I like tacos too, unless it's a wing or mountain bike wheel. If you're ever down in the Boston area, I'd be happy to swap wings with you for a dive and let you check out a nice streamlined 30 pounder, just to see if and how it changes things.

MSilvia:
I wonder how much of the difference you notice is from the backplate setup? I like tacos too, unless it's a wing or mountain bike wheel. If you're ever down in the Boston area, I'd be happy to swap wings with you for a dive and let you check out a nice streamlined 30 pounder, just to see if and how it changes things.

Hey Pete, maybe you could share some of your wreck hunting skills with Mike in exchange.

It's really quite intricate but it goes something like this:

Step 1) Randomly book charter with BHDC
Step 2) Stumble upon 3 new wrecks in 1 day.
Step 3) Call stupid friends that didn't go on the charter with you.

Sorry for the hijack.

A 60lb wing is on the high end for heavy steel doubles. It's way too large for a single tank. I've used my 40lb explorer wing for single tanks before. It works, but it's far from ideal. I can't imagine that you would be happy with an even larger wing on a single tank.

A few hundred dives ago, I spent more than a few posts online defending the bungeed wing from its detractors. The fact was it was the only wing I had ever tried. It (along with my first backplate) seemed to perform better than the BCD I had been using, so it had to be performing well, right?

After diving many different wings I've come to the conclusion that some designs just work much better than others. As a singles wing the OMS was one of the worst I've used. As a doubles wing, it was pretty mediocre.

Certain companies seem to sell a lot of wings based on the premise that they can be used for singles now and for doubles when you are ready. I don't fault the consumer for wanting to save a few bucks and to have a versatile piece of kit. However if you do any amount of research you'll find that (in the big picture) saving a few hundred bucks on a compromise wing doesn't make much sense. When you consider all the costs of doing the types of dives that doubles necessitate (training, additional regulators, additional cylinders, manifolds, bands, special gas fills, maybe a drysuit) buying another wing is a small expense. If you talk to the majority of people who own doubles you will find they own more than one backplate, several wings, more than one set of doubles, deco bottles, four or (many) more regs, etc, etc.

Thanks for the feedback!! And pics were great xiSkiGuy!!
Joe.

Cfdsmokeater:
Just wondering if anyone had first hand experience with this setup? I have put my hands on this type of kit but, have not dived/dove nor dived/dove with anybody using said rig.

I saw a diver with the setup a few weeks ago. He survived.

I dive a DR RecWing with gusset cords for singles in the past. It's not that bad. But not that good either. I would suggest to get the right wing for the right type of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom