Anybody used a 60# bung OMS wing for singles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cfdsmokeater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just wondering if anyone had first hand experience with this setup? I have put my hands on this type of kit but, have not dived/dove nor dived/dove with anybody using said rig.

Thanks,
Joe.

Cfdsmokeater:
Just wondering if anyone had first hand experience with this setup? I have put my hands on this type of kit but, have not dived/dove nor dived/dove with anybody using said rig.

Thanks,
Joe.

It can be done, works better with a smaller wing (ie: 45) but the 60 can still be done. Shout me PM and I'll let you know the secret behind it. :D

I have a 60# OMS dual bladder wing with a single tank adaptor. I love it. The reason I bought the larger wing was to eventually go to doubles, but I have a number of dives on the new rig and it performs well. I bought the kit to add the bungees but I have not installed them yet and right now, I don't think I will.

My first BP/W setup was an OMS 60lb bungeed wing. And yes, the bungees let you use a large wing designed primarily for doubles on a single tank. However, the performance is FAR from ideal. 60lbs of lift is way too much for a single tank. Even with the bungees, the wing "tacos" around a single too much to be ideal.

Here is a picture of a 60lb OMS bungeed wing on an AL100:
DIvePicts383.jpg

Notice how the wing wraps quite aways around the 8" diameter tank.

Here is an Oxycheq 18lb Mach V Razor on an AL80:
P6240057.jpg

Notice how you can barely notice the wing at all!

I own (or have owned) the 60lb OMS bungeed wing, a 45lb OMS Larry Green doubles wing, two OMS 32lb donut single wings, a Deep Outdoors 34lb horseshoe single wing, an Agir 56lb doubles wing, an Oxycheq 55lb Vertex doubles wing, an Oxycheq 30 Mach V singles wing, and an Oxycheq 18lb Mach V Razor. I've also tried several other styles of wing. For singles, nothing has come close the the Oxycheq wings in terms of performance. Do yourself a favor and buy a narrow profile, singles-specific wing with the appropriate amount of lift. The DSS singles wings or Oxycheq singles wings are great choices.

Pmaracas:
Compared to the Zeagle Ranger I used previously.
Did it have the standard 44 lbs capacity, or the optional high capacity bladder assembly? Some Rangers go up to 2x 85 lbs of lift with a double bladder. Naturally, 60 lbs would be a big improvement over a giant like that, but I still can't imagine it performing as well with a single tank as a wing half it's size. Sure, it would work, but I wouldn't recommend it over other options.

Pmaracas:
Compared to the Zeagle Ranger I used previously.

Hey Mike, meet Pete, the guy that actually bought your fins. I was just brokering the deal for him at the time. Given his recent notoriety for the discovery of a couple of new wrecks, he needs to keep a low profile (though apparently not with his choice of wings).

Anyway, as someone who has to dive with him, I can say that the wing has a serious taco effect to it. However, given Pete's fondness for mexican food, maracas and trips to Tijuana, it seems to suit him quite well. Ole!

Back
Top Bottom