Anybody going to catalina this weekend??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonyc

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,
Well, my wife and I have decided to make the trip over to the dive park this Sunday on the 7th. Unfortunately, this means I probably won't be able to join you guys for the TI dive on the 13th :(. Anyways, Is anyone else planning on heading out this Sunday?? Any idea on the conditions???
Tony.

Actually, the weather forecast looks good - there is supposed to be a warming trend over the weekend.

If I did not have a cold, I'd consider this...bummer. : (

... we're celebrating Mom's birthday with a girls' day out at the Getty.

Try to dive during high tide! :wink:

My LDS is doing a trip out to CP on Sunday. I'll be doing a couple of AOW classes while I am out there.

Well, I finally got my wife to get back in the water with me. Yesterday we went to the local pool just to review some skills before our trip. She wore her neoprene boots and gloves and today has a really horrible looking rash, again. We initially thought it was her hyperstretch wetsuit (Which by the way Henderson exchanged for a gold core for a minimal fee- they made a customer for life!) hmmm... Not sure what to do, She gets mad when I go diving without her and when she has opportunities she won't go. Now this. Obviously I'm pretty bummed tonight, I woke up early this morning before work and packed everything and made all of our arrangements. I do feel really bad for her and I know she is upset too. I guess the next step is to see an allergist.
Maybe I will get to see you guys for the group dive, but right now probably isn't the best time to ask her permission.

Talk to you soon,
Tony.

Tony,

That rash is too bad. Good thing you know how to treat it!

I wonder about a couple things... Is the rash everywhere or just certain places? Did the gold core make a difference and now it is just from boots and gloves contact?

I began wearing sock liners in my boots and I love them! They are polyolefin and spandex. Maybe something like that would help? Also, many divers wear a skin under their wetsuit. This could also help keep the neoprene away from her skin.

Latex gloves under the dive gloves??

If she were still to get a rash after avoiding the neoprene contact, I would try renting a drysuit (with training or supervision) and see if that could be a good solution.

I hope this helps!

Well Kelphelper,
She hasn't worn the gold core suit yet. She taped a swatch of it to her skin and didn't seem to have any problems. We already bought a dive skin, but it hasn't helped. I'd love to get her a drysuit but if she isn't going to dive, I'd hate to spend all that money on one. I have gotten her everything but a tank and has only logged like 9 dives. Can you rent drysuits? Right now the rash is mostly on her hands (It really does look pretty bad), but last time we dove it was everywhere. I'm worried because we are going to Costa Rica in April and plan on spending the majority of the trip diving, but she hasn't been in the water since November! I told her she needs to practice a lot between now and then to be safe.... now this. I'm frustrated. She talked me into scuba lessons and now I'm obsessed. She doesn't seem to want to dive and now is getting this horrible rash. Sooo... does that mean I don't get to dive because of it?? Sounds pretty selfish I guess.

Tony.

TonyC

Here in Norcal doctors have discovered that neoprene allergies can be caused by DS deficiency. The recommended treatment is a trilam dosage after latex sensitivity is ruled out.
Treatment should be administered at least bi-weekly. Consult your local DUI pharmacist.

Have fun

tonyc:
Can you rent drysuits? Right now the rash is mostly on her hands (It really does look pretty bad), but last time we dove it was everywhere.

I told her she needs to practice a lot between now and then to be safe.... now this. I'm frustrated.

She doesn't seem to want to dive and now is getting this horrible rash.

Tonyc,
Yes, you can rent drysuits. If you are diving here I can give you some references. Otherwise, ask the dive shops around your area.

If I was getting itchy and splotchy every time I tried to dive I would probably lose interest in diving. Try to put yourself in her skin... So, patience is key.

Did you try the dive med forum? DAN? As you said, an allergist is a good idea. In the meantime, empathy is a good path until things get figured out. Hang in there... and buy your bride some cortizone cream!

Back
Top Bottom