Anybody familiar with sharkskin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have some Lavacore that I tried out last trip. Good stuff IMO. Somewhat pricey but for an easy to put on piece of gear that definitely keeps you warmer without having to add weight in, I liked it alot.

Supposedly (I was told, never bothered to chase it down) that the two products came about due to a family disagreement and they are very similar.

that's a very good info. thank you.
curious about sizing.. most gears with give a chest size. a range

sharkskin gives you 1 value... example...
xs chest size is 35.8 inches. what does this mean?? is it max stretch or no stretch?
my chest size is 35inches exhale and 36inches inhale

The advice I got when I was considering buying was to get them a size small as they tend to billow when wet. I did that and while snug before getting in the water they fit well once wet. I would NOT want to try putting one on wet. It would make a 1 size to small wet suit seem easy I think.

The advice I got when I was considering buying was to get them a size small as they tend to billow when wet. I did that and while snug before getting in the water they fit well once wet. I would NOT want to try putting one on wet. It would make a 1 size to small wet suit seem easy I think.

Thanks ! this seems the most helpful advise im getting so far..
seller thinks I should get the bigger size... as that is what he's using... 1 size bigger. but when i contacted the manufacturer they'd let me go to the lower size !

what's wrong with putting one on wet?

doesn't it work like a standard neoprene wetsuit? i usually wet a wetsuit before doning it... but i haven't worn a wet suit in a long time... tropical waters. =) although... this is just a vest.. so it shoudn't be that hard to put on right?

If its a vest it should be fine. Its a bit different than neoprene. I found my shirt really sticks to me. The fleece lining when wet seems to not want to slide well taking it off. Fortunately I was only using it on night dives so it hung overnight and was dry by the next evening.

A wet wetsuit no issue, a one size too small wetsuit... Different story!

Near zero stretch on the Lavacore. Sharkskin is reportedly the same fabric. Not sure what the future of Lavacore is after a recent acquisition by Huish (see the business of scuba forum if you care). Might still be some good closeout deals on existing lavacore inventory.

Near zero stretch on the Lavacore. Sharkskin is reportedly the same fabric. Not sure what the future of Lavacore is after a recent acquisition by Huish (see the business of scuba forum if you care). Might still be some good closeout deals on existing lavacore inventory.

oh that's what happened.....

anyway bought the vest... it's a snug fit when im in it... it's just the going in and going out... im probably missing something...

it's just the going in and going out... im probably missing something...

That's where your buddy comes in handy ^^
I love my sharkskin, but haven't managed yet to get out of it by myself without a lot of time, contorsions and swearing.

That's where your buddy comes in handy ^^
I love my sharkskin, but haven't managed yet to get out of it by myself without a lot of time, contorsions and swearing.

hahahahah ok.. an extra pair of hands to pull it off would really be helpful..

Iv gotten in and out about 3 times tonight as i got the package. ok.. 2nd and 3rd try.. i think i've got something going on... i managed to slip out...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom