Anybody familiar with sharkskin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To march the other way from the parade here - I have lavacore pants and sharkskin jacket. No problem getting either on or off, wet or dry. Not super stretchy but I wouldn't describe either as "near zero stretch." I find the fit pretty much the same in water as out and experience no billowing in the water. They fit me snug enough but not super tight, which I'm not a fan of.

that's a very good info. thank you.
curious about sizing.. most gears with give a chest size. a range

I think the sizing depends largely on the manufacturer. I recently ordered a Pinnacle Inferno V-Skin (which is similar to the Sharkskin and Lavacore skins) and I was going to drop down one size from my wetsuit (and that was based on actual measurements). I normally wear a 2XL Akona Quantum stretch full wetsuit. I attempted to try on an XL Pinnacle V-Skin and it wasn't happening. I was never going to get into it. So, I ended up ordering a 2XL Pinnacle. Still waiting for it to come in from New Zealand so, we'll see for sure when it gets here.

All that being said, it is a good idea to order one that's a little snug. However, you'll never know for sure what "snug" is unless you actually try one on. It may be a pain to get to a big dive shop to try on several different sizes but, I promise you it will be worth it in the long run.

Trying on is key (like most suits.) I found even similar items in the same line might fit differently enough, or at least differ a lot in ease of getting on because of the style. Buy a couple sizes and return whatever (or all) that doesn't fit. (In my case I waited until I happened to be in San Diego near a dive shop that had enough stock of this stuff. And the neck on my jacket gaps too much - I sew so one of these days I will modify that somehow.)

I think the sizing depends largely on the manufacturer. I recently ordered a Pinnacle Inferno V-Skin (which is similar to the Sharkskin and Lavacore skins) and I was going to drop down one size from my wetsuit (and that was based on actual measurements). I normally wear a 2XL Akona Quantum stretch full wetsuit. I attempted to try on an XL Pinnacle V-Skin and it wasn't happening. I was never going to get into it. So, I ended up ordering a 2XL Pinnacle. Still waiting for it to come in from New Zealand so, we'll see for sure when it gets here.

All that being said, it is a good idea to order one that's a little snug. However, you'll never know for sure what "snug" is unless you actually try one on. It may be a pain to get to a big dive shop to try on several different sizes but, I promise you it will be worth it in the long run.
that's good information

i went with the size measurements... it's snug.. haven't tried it on the water yet though...

info.... reviews of people who've actually used it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom