Anybody been in water lately? Vis any better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boston Scuba charter conditions for Sunday 3/31. We went out to Graves Light for first dive. We hadn't been out there since December so wanted to check it out. Still tons of harbor seals out there (at least 15-20?) along with a few pups. Not as curious as the ones at Isle of Shoals or Salvages. Some close encounters on the surface but not underwater that I could tell visibility was a bit worse in the shallows.

A lot of the rocks are pretty bare from all the weather we've had this winter. A few smaller lobsters sighted.

Visibility around ~10-15ft. Max depth 61ft, Time 54 minutes. Water temperature: 38-40F

2nd dive was a scallop dive. I didn't do this dive but divers reported similar visibility and water temperature. Everyone did pretty well for scallops (some better than others..).

Graves Light

Harbor Seal

First keeper of the year!

I did Folly Cove (left) on 3/30/13, viz was about 5 feet and Loblolly Cove on 3/31/13, viz was about 10-15 feet.

Thinking of going under Wednesday. Anyone been out in the last week? Vis? Temps? Thanks.

I was out on Monday 4/9 at Nubble Light where temp was 39 degrees and visibility was variable from 15-25. Surprisingly clear in some areas.

Have heard that on the same day, Back Beach was generally 41 degrees with some spots up to 43. Vis was around 20 there as well.

We had 10-15 feet of viz and 43 degrees at Niles Beach in Gloucester Saturday 4/13. Wind prevented diving pretty much everywhere else that day. Not a lot to see (it IS Niles after all), but I did find a pipefish.

Interesting, Dave we were at the Nubble Monday also and blew it off, the viz looked terrible. Our standard rule is to look over the side to the left in 12-15' of water and look for bottom, we see bottom we dive, if we don't we drink. No bottom on Monday, you did say it was variable. When we looked from the top later it did look pretty good.

Not surprised by the lack of critters, pretty sparce in the spring. I do like the nudis and shrimp clouds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom