Anybody been in water lately? Vis any better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My last 3 New England dives include the following;

- a shore dive at Ft Adams in Newport on 10 March where the viz was maybe 10' and water temperature 36 F,

- an ice dive at Lady of the Lake wreck at Lake Winnipesaukee on 17 March with viz ~ 25' and water temperature 33 F,

- a shore dive at Kings Beach in Newport on 24 March with viz at least 25' and perhaps more with water temperature 37 F. This is excellant viz for this particular location for any time of the year.

I'm diving Canoe Beach in Nahant tomorrow morning and then I'm out with Boston Scuba on Sunday for scallops and a new wreck.

Two weekends ago, 2/16 and 2/17, the visibility around Boston was around 5ft with lots of particulate in the water. I'm hoping it improves this weekend.

How was Canoe Beach? ...one of my favorite places to dive. Wish I had a Nahant parking sticker.

Went diving at Lane's Cove. Viz was about 10-20 ft. No fish, or animal life other than periwinkles and algae. Local color is interesting. Some old local dude tells my wife I can't dive there. Good thing she was talking because I would have told the guy something off-color. That said - there is NO ONE THERE. Boats, birds, etc. On a uneasy note- there is some weird looking guy in a older emerald green Subaru station wagon who parks there and keeps staring. I noted him two other times. Sleazy looking guy with hair that looks like it is never washed. Ick. Macado's observations on Lane's is dead on. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-england/448952-ottawa-coast-camp-dive-2.html

On a interesting note - I found a Minn Kota, a white Johnson outboard and a couple of fiberglass extension ladders. A bit hard to navigate with a scooter as there are tons of lines for boats in the water. Temp was probably in the 40's? I didn't break 20' at high tide. Here are some pics. of the regulations & my constant companion:

BlahBlah.jpg

OdinPup.jpg

Nice report!

I did one 53 minute dive at Canoe Beach today in Nahant. Not much to report. Viz similar to Cape Ann. Maybe about ~10' ft. Smooth as glass on the surface. Went in around mid-tide as it was coming in. Better than it has been lately. Yet again, I found more weights at this site. A couple keeper sized lobsters sighted (I didn't take them).

We had a good group there, 7 other people including myself. Two brave souls in wetsuits.

Max depth: 42ft, Time: 53 minutes, Temperature: 38-39f degrees

I'm out in the harbor with Boston Scuba tomorrow so I'll report back the conditions.

---------- Post added March 30th, 2013 at 07:58 PM ----------

How was Canoe Beach? ...one of my favorite places to dive. Wish I had a Nahant parking sticker.

Don't worry about a sticker in winter or even early spring/summer. Just stop at the police station and ask nicely. It's much more difficult in the height of summer but if you go there on a rainy/cloudy day in the summer then they usually don't mind.

I've never been denied parking there in the winter.

Out of all the dives there, I've been fortunate no issues with locals. Once, a local Gloucester letter carrier was there (not sure why she wasn't delivering mail in middle of day..) but she told me I'm not allowed to dive there. I told her to just deliver the mail. I know someone that had tires slashed. I do keep a low profile. I purposely don't have sticker on my car. I don't go in with catch bag.. Still one of my favorite sites. Interesting terrain. mini walls, huge pink granite formations. thanks for posting.

Just saw video from buddies that got in at Cape Elizabeth Saturday. They said 10-15 feet, video looked a lot better than that. If we can stay out of the storm cycle there will be some nice spring diving.

Back
Top Bottom