Any woodworking experts out there I need some help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup that's the one I found. The wood is routered out to make a groove for the glass and then a decorative piece over that to really secure the glass. If the glass gets broken you have to destroy the frame to replace.
The frame (sides) are not rabbetted for the glass in this plan. The sides are built, the molding is applied, it's turned upside down and the glass is put in from the back. Then you add the hot glue to hold the glass in place once it upright. The glue will be removable with a chisel or scraper or razor blade if you have to get the glass out.

The only "groove" you have to cut is for the wood back to make it flush with the rails. You can clearly see this in the plan.

Maybe this will help. Blue is for the glass, green for the glue and brown for the bottom. Sorry about the low quality drawing, I'm doing this on my phone.
Screenshot_20201209-093509~2_1.png

The frame (sides) are not rabbetted for the glass in this plan. The sides are built, the molding is applied, it's turned upside down and the glass is put in from the back. Then you add the hot glue to hold the glass in place once it upright. The glue will be removable with a chisel or scraper or razor blade if you have to get the glass out.

The only "groove" you have to cut is for the wood back to make it flush with the rails. You can clearly see this in the plan.

Maybe this will help. Blue is for the glass, green for the glue and brown for the bottom. Sorry about the low quality drawing, I'm doing this on my phone.
View attachment 629343

That is much clearer, thanks, I'm looking at the plans on my phone.

With a toddler running around.....

i have one of those. I usually just let her stupid sh*t and hope she learns from it.

heres another option - buy or make a coffee table with a glass top and mount a box underneath

Never mind, figured I'd let you know of the option, can't tell you how many times I've redesigned after the fact.

Thanks for the option I appreciate it, just at that point it's too heavy to hang up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom