Any woodworking experts out there I need some help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My father just passed away and I have his folded flag. I want to make a custom flag case for it however I'm running into a few obstacles in building it.
My wood of choice is purple heart but there is no filler for gaps and it tends to turn brown over time. I think I can overcome the no gap filler with a clear glue and sanding scrap wood. So the question with this wood is what is a really good UV protection sealer that I can apply to preserve the color?
The other choice would be white oak but I want the color of purple heart so I would need to stain to the right color and although I'm a decent painter I can't seem to get stain even and I'm not even sure if I could get a stain that matches the right color. However filling gaps and screw holes is much easier with white oak that is then stained and sealed.
So first question what wood is best for this project?
Next is design. I have found designs on the internet but they have one thing I don't like, in order to remove the glass if broken you have to destroy the frame and I want to be able to change the glass without completely rebuilding the frame.
So inputs as to how to make the glass removeable without redoing the entire thing are needed.
Tools wise I have a compound miter or chop saw where both the table and the saw blade are adjustable, my table saw is broke but I have access to a table saw and I have access to a router but I'm not sure if it has a table or not.
I know I could buy a frame for 20-100 dollars but I don't want to do that for a couple reasons. One they don't come in the right wood, and two the first time I ever held a tool, paint brush etc.. was with my dad so as my last tribute I want to make it (even though materials might cost more than buying one).

I'd look for a marine spar varnish with a good uv rating. Just rember that purple heart changes color from air and uv so whatever you do is a holding action.

This could be natures way of telling you it's time to perfect your staining skills.:wink:

So first question what wood is best for this project?

Did your dad have a favorite wood?

I have found designs on the internet but they have one thing I don't like, in order to remove the glass if broken you have to destroy the frame and I want to be able to change the glass without completely rebuilding the frame.

What kind of tools to have have? Any trouble cutting rabbits and grooves?

As a contractor I order custom made full wood drawer boxes for custom kitchens. You should have a company like that in larger cities. They should be able to make it from any wood you want. Then find a company that has a shop that sprays finishes. That should give uuu a first class produce.

Did your dad have a favorite wood?

What kind of tools to have have? Any trouble cutting rabbits and grooves?

Grooves shouldn't be a problem, I don't know what rabbits is so I'm not sure.

As a contractor I order custom made full wood drawer boxes for custom kitchens. You should have a company like that in larger cities. They should be able to make it from any wood you want. Then find a company that has a shop that sprays finishes. That should give uuu a first class produce.

I can spray finish, I don't want someone to make it for me.... I want to make it for centementail reasons.

I'd look for a marine spar varnish with a good uv rating. Just rember that purple heart changes color from air and uv so whatever you do is a holding action.

This could be natures way of telling you it's time to perfect your staining skills.:wink:

Thats the problem with purple heart, great color but doesn't last.

Maybe try an oiled finish. You will have to reapply from time to time but that might give you the opportunity to reconnect with your father at the same time, too. Nice way to remember him.

Set your router up in a table stand for rabbiting. Use a good guide when you're passing your material through. Make sure all of your bits are wicked sharp. Go slow, be precise, and buy extra wood for the three or four times you're going to remake this.

Don't forget the UV glass, too.

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet (seriously).
Re: Color. My experience has been that even "UV Resistant" marine spar varnishes will still allow the purple heart to brown. It takes longer but it does. Someone out there might comment on a specific brand that does truly allow the purple to stay, but I haven't found one.
Re Staining.
  • Oak is a good choice for staining as it has a very open grain structure. You don't get splotching like with a tighter grained wood like maple or poplar. The difficulty will be getting the color to look natural and not fake. I would test it with Red Oak.
  • non-penetrative stains are a little easier to work with (think Gel stains). They tend to produce more even results.
  • Consider a grain filler to smooth out the final texture. Spend some time playing with the whole finishing process and get it right from start to finish (pun intended) before you do it on you final project.
  • I've found that the beginning (preparing your project for finish) and the end (finishing your finish) are the most important aspects of finishing.
Re Glass:
I built a mantle clock where I rabbeted the back of the frame and I mitered quarter round moulding to hold the glass in place. the downside of this method is that there was 1/64" gap to allow for wood movement. This made the glass rattle if you took it off. Not a big deal if you're not moving the frame. The quarter round was delicate, so I had to pre-drill the molding with 000 (I think) bits and then hold it in place with 20 gauge brads. If you won't see the back of the frame you can also use Glazier's Points that are used in picture framing.

Hope this helps.

PS. For what it's worth, I totally get why this project has so much more meaning than buying something off the shelf.

Back
Top Bottom