Any trans pac or BP divers here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom wicker

Contributor
Reaction score
I understand this question should have been asked in the equipment forum but I would feel more comfortable asking it here among the Dixie Divers I hope I’m correct in assuming that some of you divers that are a bit old school started off with a vest bcd. Today I slipped on my Trans Pac for the first time after looking at it for some time now. Having been use to diving with a vest for about nine years of diving it just didn’t feel right, actually it felt as if nothing was there, I guess I would have to admit the chest squeeze of the vest gave me a more secure feeling.
My questions would be did it take awhile for you wing divers get use to the feel of every thing on your back? It feels like I’ll fall out of mine :11:
Question number two I didn’t go with the optional crotch strap. After putting on the pac I got to thinking actually fearing again with just two shoulder straps a small chest strap and a cummerbund strap. Do any of you feel the need for the crotch strap?

Dang I feel as if I need to take a class just to use this thing. I would hate to ask Fritz to put me in a pool:eyebrow: I feel like a Turtle with this thing

Hell, I'm thinking about sewing a damned crotch strap to my vest, those things help quite a bit in situating the BCD properly.

Damn I feel the need to sew some sides on this Trans pac ( It brings new meaning to nude diving for me)

I just received my BP/W last night. I've put it together and hope to dive in it in the pool.

With the feel of "nothing there" I believe is the idea of the BP/W, although stream lining, trim , and buoyancy is what it's supposed to be for.

I chose to go with a crotch strap. Reasons, I've read that on the surface, without the crotch strap the wing actually does (as BC wearers will say) *push* you face forward into the water. With the crotch strap, it's all secure and you actually tend to float more backwards. *shrugs* I have yet to try. The reason is that the strap keeps the BP/W from going "up over" your shoulders. When that happens, it will push you forward. Secondly, there is a d-ring there for a scooter. :)

I'll post my first "dive" experience in the pool Sunday night or whenever I get a chance to get in.

Good luck and let me know how the transpac works without the crotch strap.

Michael

It also helps to use a steel tank to put some weight on Your back, this means You can take some weight off your weight system.

and I would go with a crotch strap for sure

mwhities:
I just received my BP/W last night. I've put it together and hope to dive in it in the pool.

With the feel of "nothing there" I believe is the idea of the BP/W, although stream lining, trim , and buoyancy is what it's supposed to be for.

I chose to go with a crotch strap. Reasons, I've read that on the surface, without the crotch strap the wing actually does (as BC wearers will say) *push* you face forward into the water. With the crotch strap, it's all secure and you actually tend to float more backwards. *shrugs* I have yet to try. The reason is that the strap keeps the BP/W from going "up over" your shoulders. When that happens, it will push you forward. Secondly, there is a d-ring there for a scooter. :)

I'll post my first "dive" experience in the pool Sunday night or whenever I get a chance to get in.

Good luck and let me know how the transpac works without the crotch strap.

Michael

I guarantee it will be a solo dive with no one around for mile to see me make a fool out of myself. You know It never cross my mind about it putting face down pressure on the surface. I crossed some of your threads where you were putting together your BP You went with a new style backplate didn’t you? I thought about a BP system but where I can only get Sundays off I had a limited resources where I could purchase from.

I’m do want to hear complete details of you maiden voyage with that gear

algulfdiver:
and I would go with a crotch strap for sure

Gary what are you store hours? Is there any nights your open late? Thanks for the advice on the strap and tank. What are them steels you use?

Yeah, i bought a long pattern back plate, 30# LCD wing and a Hog harness from DSS. Tobin really knows what he is doing and can answer any question you have about the rig. I do want to eventually go to a doubles setup but, because of $$, it will be a long while.

I'll be sure to PM you when I post it. Be looking out in Hogarthian Diving under the Technical Diving Specialties incase I forget. :)

Michael

BTW, Gary HAD a nice looking DiveRite rig hanging up in his store. That was the first place I actually looked at a back inflate of some kind. I liked the "openess" of it. the BCD *crushed* me per say and I don't like that feeling. I just hope I like the feel of this BP/W rig. :)

Michael

Back
Top Bottom