Any tips for sea sickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's wild... I thought it was a cure all. I add the patch the night before, eat a little something the morning of and I feel awesome. I tried without the patch last time and just eating... never hot sick, but I wasn't 100% either..

I think whatever someone does, eating "something" goes a long way. The 2 times I was miserable seasick is the 2 times I didn't eat a thing.
Ya it was not good with the patch! She had one dilatated eye and one not which caused her to be sensitive to light. She also panicked at 60 feet thinking she was out of air even though I showed her she was not and she bolted and drug me to the surface with her. This was after several hundred dives but the first with the patch, she quit using the patch and never had these issues again.

Hi! I know that this comment was made some time ago, but could you explain how you “actively surf” the boat? I am desperate (nothing has worked to curb my extreme sea sickness) and this suggestion has peaked my interest as it makes the most sense. TIA for any info! Cheers!!
Hi GingerDives, sorry for the delayed response... I don't frequent this board that often.

I found this video of a device that stabilizes a boat.
But while everyone else is trying to rock the boat for the demonstration, look at the bald guy in the plaid shirt on the left who is NOT rocking the boat. Notice how as the boat rocks, he is keeping his body in the same location (although he is going up and down). He does not "rock" with the boat. Instead, he's letting his legs/feet "surf" the boat so that even though the boat is tilting, he is not (relative to the Earth). He's effectively always vertical.

I was doing this on my last boat dive and was noticing how no one else was doing it (even the boat captain and dive master). But I'm guessing they are motion sickness resistant... unlike me. I used the same technique on a cruise ship in rough seas and it worked too.

Here's another one. This guy looks like he keeps tilting, but if we could see a land reference, I'm betting he looks "vertical" the entire time.

dramamine or gravol (dimenhydrinate)

Hi GingerDives, sorry for the delayed response... I don't frequent this board that often.

I found this video of a device that stabilizes a boat.
But while everyone else is trying to rock the boat for the demonstration, look at the bald guy in the plaid shirt on the left who is NOT rocking the boat. Notice how as the boat rocks, he is keeping his body in the same location (although he is going up and down). He does not "rock" with the boat. Instead, he's letting his legs/feet "surf" the boat so that even though the boat is tilting, he is not (relative to the Earth). He's effectively always vertical.

I was doing this on my last boat dive and was noticing how no one else was doing it (even the boat captain and dive master). But I'm guessing they are motion sickness resistant... unlike me. I used the same technique on a cruise ship in rough seas and it worked too.

Here's another one. This guy looks like he keeps tilting, but if we could see a land reference, I'm betting he looks "vertical" the entire time.
Thank you! I am a very visual learner and couldn’t wrap my head around it. This helped tremendously.

My wife has experience using sea sickness glasses in addition to the ginger chews. They look REALLY stupid, but they actually work amazingly well.

Back
Top Bottom