Any Swampers going on the Tech Trip aboard the Spree leaving Sunday 9/8?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Checking to see if any locals (TSD) are going out Sunday. Diving the Brine Seep is going to be cool. Heading past the usual stop point on the walls is going to be interesting as well.

Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary Secrets of the Gulf Brine Seep Images

Would have loved to but no $$ for that trek. The reading I did on this area of the gulf and the photos reviewed were quite interesting. I hope you have a succ. and save run. Please post a trip report when you get time upon your return! Have a good time. :)

You know I'm working, I don't breathe voodoo gas (yet), and I aint got de $$ anyway...besides, who wants to go out in the great blue yonder when ya got 2ft vis right hear everyday?
Have fun and get some pictures. I WILL be getting wet next weekend so, holler up...

FOILED!!!!! Talk about a suck factor of about 10.5..... guess it goes with living on the Gulf coast. Hopefully Fla will get a break.

143311W_sm.gif

:depressed:

Yeah, even the 12-14th trip is still very much threatened. Unless that high stays put and weakens and Ike starts curling up significantly (and obviously) toward the FL panhandle by Tuesday or so, I don't see Frank risking the boat and crew (and passengers, obviously) for a Thursday night departure, either. On the bright side....the Spree wouldn't be too happy working the Keys this week, either. So it's a good thing they're still not 'moved' over there permanent-like, yet.

...looks interesting...just how deep is that 'seep' and what sort of depths/runtimes do you do on this trip ?

Karl

Was talking with another Swamper yesterday morning whom was booked to go and excited. Sorry for the trip getting whacked....better safe than sorry.

RTR -
ya it's a freakin drag but it is what it is... Doesnt look like its too bad before Wed PM but from the looks of it the seas would build and the current would be unpredictable at best. We were going to live boat the seep which is a huge PITA for Cpt. Frank and crew unless the seas are calm(ish) and the current is slack(ish) plus getting out of the water with doubles and assorted side mounts in any seas is also a PITA. As far as I am concenred if Capt Frank could make it happen he would make it happen -the boat doesnt make any money when tied up at the dock - yet its not worth placing passengers and crew in jeopardy. (in other words I trust Cpt. Frank's call 100% without hesitation) My money would be on the Thurs-Fri trip bieng scrubbed unless Ike does something unpredictable - which is possible but unlikely. Geez... I could be a weather man... dont commit and state the obvious.

Fanatic -
The seep is at 240' (so I'm told - I have not been there) There were several rebreather types going so their run time is quite a bit diff than mine but I was planning on going on a 18/45 mix and about 25 mins of bottom time using EAN 34 as travel gas and EAN 85 as deco mix. 25 minutes is a bit fat because in my opinion there is not going to be as much to see compared to a wreck etc.... so I didnt plan on hanging around just to log bottom time. I ran my calcs from 230/235/240' and 10/15/20/25 minutes just to see where the decos were at I would most likley go with a 240' for 10 min plan and spend some extra time at 20' and 15' just to be sure.

Tex - hopefully your friend wasnt already headed toward Freeport cause that would suck worse than getting the call while watching the Texans get their butts kicked by the Steelers geez!!

The seep is at 240' (so I'm told - I have not been there) There were several rebreather types going so their run time is quite a bit diff than mine but I was planning on going on a 18/45 mix and about 25 mins of bottom time using EAN 34 as travel gas and EAN 85 as deco mix. 25 minutes is a bit fat because in my opinion there is not going to be as much to see compared to a wreck etc.... so I didnt plan on hanging around just to log bottom time. I ran my calcs from 230/235/240' and 10/15/20/25 minutes just to see where the decos were at I would most likley go with a 240' for 10 min plan and spend some extra time at 20' and 15' just to be sure.

Tex - hopefully your friend wasnt already headed toward Freeport cause that would suck worse than getting the call while watching the Texans get their butts kicked by the Steelers geez!!

No....I am betting he got the 'word'.....he was one of those rebreather guys.

Whom was schd. to be the DSO on the trip?

Did you mean 16/45TMx/240FSW TOD@10min.?

Not quite sure I am with you on your gas section/s for this site's dive profile if 18/45TMx and 34EAN trv.//85EAN deco are accurate .... what am I missing??

:)

Eric keibler from Oceanic Ventures (Oceanic Venures, Inc. - Staff) was the scheduled DSO and Dave Snyder was going to be the mix master with me as his lovely assistant (plus I was to get my mix blender card punched using this trip as the practical) I understand that shooting for a 1.5pp(worst case) was due to the idea that the seep floor is considerably less than 240' (240' with a shovel) actually diving at about 225' with the seep at 230' (no need to get your stuff saltier)all the while keeping the pp less than 1.6. knowing that 1.4 is optimal. (16%mix would have given us a 1.32@240 which is obviously better than 18%...) I personally am ok going no more than 1.6 unless working a chamber sitting doing nothing but sitting etc... and I dont work at the chamber any more so its 1.6 max no matter what for me.

I envy the reabreather types and I wish I had the jack to go rebreather but I just cannot justify the cost....... I have been waiting for them to come down on price (for about 10 years!) but they are still out of my price range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom