Any Swampers going on the Tech Trip aboard the Spree leaving Sunday 9/8?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric keibler from Oceanic Ventures (Oceanic Venures, Inc. - Staff) was the scheduled DSO and Dave Snyder was going to be the mix master with me as his lovely assistant (plus I was to get my mix blender card punched using this trip as the practical) I understand that shooting for a 1.5pp(worst case) was due to the idea that the seep floor is considerably less than 240' (240' with a shovel) actually diving at about 225' with the seep at 230' (no need to get your stuff saltier)all the while keeping the pp less than 1.6. knowing that 1.4 is optimal. (16%mix would have given us a 1.32@240 which is obviously better than 18%...) I personally am ok going no more than 1.6 unless working a chamber sitting doing nothing but sitting etc... and I dont work at the chamber any more so its 1.6 max no matter what for me.

I envy the reabreather types and I wish I had the jack to go rebreather but I just cannot justify the cost....... I have been waiting for them to come down on price (for about 10 years!) but they are still out of my price range.

Hey thanks for the reply.....and info. on the charters DSO....I had wondered whom it was. :wink:

I always find it interesting to hear other divers thoughts concerning the 'mix' and schd. they might be using particularly when the dive/s are in changeable o/w conditions such as the GoMx or The Lakes as examples.

It's also nice we live under a diving system that allows us to fine tune our selected gases based on what we consider 'best' for us as related to a partc. dive profile and of course getting the 'check mark' from the DSO :D .... in particular the risk factor's associated with the ever important PPO2.

Hope you have a future opt. to make the seep, it does look intriguing. Happy and safe diving.

RTR -
ya it's a freakin drag but it is what it is... Doesnt look like its too bad before Wed PM but from the looks of it the seas would build and the current would be unpredictable at best. We were going to live boat the seep which is a huge PITA for Cpt. Frank and crew unless the seas are calm(ish) and the current is slack(ish) plus getting out of the water with doubles and assorted side mounts in any seas is also a PITA. As far as I am concenred if Capt Frank could make it happen he would make it happen -the boat doesnt make any money when tied up at the dock - yet its not worth placing passengers and crew in jeopardy. (in other words I trust Cpt. Frank's call 100% without hesitation) My money would be on the Thurs-Fri trip bieng scrubbed unless Ike does something unpredictable - which is possible but unlikely. Geez... I could be a weather man... dont commit and state the obvious.

Fanatic -
The seep is at 240' (so I'm told - I have not been there) There were several rebreather types going so their run time is quite a bit diff than mine but I was planning on going on a 18/45 mix and about 25 mins of bottom time using EAN 34 as travel gas and EAN 85 as deco mix. 25 minutes is a bit fat because in my opinion there is not going to be as much to see compared to a wreck etc.... so I didnt plan on hanging around just to log bottom time. I ran my calcs from 230/235/240' and 10/15/20/25 minutes just to see where the decos were at I would most likley go with a 240' for 10 min plan and spend some extra time at 20' and 15' just to be sure.

Tex - hopefully your friend wasnt already headed toward Freeport cause that would suck worse than getting the call while watching the Texans get their butts kicked by the Steelers geez!!

...thanks for the details ! I'd signed up for the SPREE Labor Day trip which got blown out by GUSTAV....Frank's running a 'replacement' trip for 'my' trip 9/12-14, but it definitely appears it will get blown out by IKE, if the present hurricane track 'sticks' to projections...oh well, I couldn't sign up for the 9/12-14 trip anyway...sigh.

Karl

Seems like this year has been worse than usual but it happens. What bums me out the most is that with Frank, Mel and the Spree headed to Fla time is running out to spend some time on the Spree with a couple of great folks. I am looking forward to diving the tortugs with them I just wont be able to do it as much as I would like. My work schedule will not allow me to go to the FGBNMS for the rest of this season. I am going to try and make a hammerhead trip before they head south.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom