Any Special Instructors here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Universal Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Of course we are all special instructors but what I'm looking for is an instructor who can teach deaf students. Does anyone out there teach in sign?

I have a very special friend from church just looking for something to do and I suggested diving to his mother. I unfortunately can not teach in sign. His reading ability isn't that good as well. He is an incredibly polite and intelligent young man but hasn't had as fortunate life as many.

He is old enough to get his Jr. Open Water and I would be happy to help him financially take the course.

Any suggestions on who could take this on? I'll even lend him all my gear for the course.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

I have a friend who teaches (i.e. high school) people with hearing challenges and is also a certified diver. She often comes to Maui for a few weeks in Dec/Jan -- if nothing else arises and this interests him, we should be able to figure something out for translation... just let me know so I can check with my friend about her travel plans this year.

Thanks Kris. We've run into this situation already. I can do the course with other certified divers from our church who could translate.

My worry is, would they translate it correctly. As an instructor would do it. Maybe, I should take one of them and put them through a DM course. Yea right. If I had the time.

Thanks Kris. We've run into this situation already. I can do the course with other certified divers from our church who could translate.

My worry is, would they translate it correctly. As an instructor would do it. Maybe, I should take one of them and put them through a DM course. Yea right. If I had the time.
Yeah, I hear you. I figured this option had become available -- but wasn't sure if it would be beneficial that the "translator" is also a professional educator... just not an underwater one.

Truthfully, the only time that it would *really* matter is during those little communications that happen on the surface, away from the other materials (i.e. books & DVD that has subtitles).

Interesting! Too bad Eddi isn't here anymore, he is an instructor and grew up speaking ASL

Drew, that was beautiful. I've always wondered why we don't see many deaf divers. They have such the advantage being able to 'talk' underwater.

My biggest worry is gettting through the book work.

I wish I had done this sooner but my wife and I have decided to take signing classes. I know it would take years before I would be able to teach in 'sign' but being around this young man is so inspirational.

Drew, that was beautiful. I've always wondered why we don't see many deaf divers. They have such the advantage being able to 'talk' underwater.

My biggest worry is gettting through the book work.

I wish I had done this sooner but my wife and I have decided to take signing classes. I know it would take years before I would be able to teach in 'sign' but being around this young man is so inspirational.
Regarding book work... how is he with computers? Would the eLearning maybe be a good route -- that way he can work at his own pace?

Good idea on learning ASL. It's on my life list, too... and something like this is where I wish I already had checked that one off! :D

Drew, I teach an U/W dive sign class! Call me, maybe we can arrange a trade. Based on ASL, but tailored for diving. The class takes about a day and is a PADI "distinctive" specialty. When I was more active, I'd make it a part of my dive master training. It made working a charter waaay easier.

Kris, I wish he were better at reading. His reading ability is about a grade two level. So, sad to say, other than playing video games on a computer, I don't think this is an option.

kmayer, are you able to do Open Water courses in ASL?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom