Any skydivers here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My PADI OW instructor was also a skydiver. He like it so much he went skydiving while I was waiting at the lake for my checkout dives. We had to reschedule. He ended up cutting me a GREAT deal on my equipment from his shop -- before he closed it.

I used a different shop for my next two certifications.

As for me, sitting in the exit row on my weekly flights to wherever I am working is as close as I will get to skydiving.

I'm planning on doing my first jump in October...

I was a skydiver long before scuba... (started when they were still using 'umbrella' chutes and rip cords, as opposed to today's wing chutes with control lines and pilot chutes). My wife basically put the kibosh on my jumping out of planes.... (ironically, now, my wife is my scuba diving buddy).

No contest... Scuba wins hands down: it lasts much longer, it's less expensive, there's an unlimited choice of "sites" to visit, you control the trip, it has much more varied experience (reef, wreck, technical, cave, cavern, ocean, quarry, spring, river, etc.), more interaction with your surroundings... and most importantly, you can learn to manage most malfunctions. Skydiving, you have two malfunctions: high speed (main chute fails to open); and low speed (main chute opens but fails to deploy, called a roman candle, which will also interfere with your auxiliary chute, if opened prior to releasing your main). I don't miss the skydiving... I would *definitely* miss scuba...

i see no reason to jump out of a perfectly good plane

"There's no such thing as a perfectly good airplane," :14: Haven't heard or cited that phrase in many a year...thanks for invoking some fond memories.

Yup.

Sky diving is more thrilling that most scuba diving -- but scuba is more fulfilling, at least for me.

Jeff

I've got around 1000 jumps.

2 different types of sensations. Skydiving is more about adrenaline, scuba is more about relaxation and exploration.

Scuba is definitely cheaper.

I have skydived 136 times but haven't done it since 2000. I still have my gear and tell myself I'm going to start back. When the door of an airplane opens at 14,000 feet and you are standing in it...it is, as Patrick Swayze said to Keanau Reeves...100% pure adrenaline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom