Any skydivers here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skydiving is more about adrenaline, scuba is more about relaxation and exploration

Many of my jumps fell into the exploration category, not by intention...trees, creeks, buildings, high voltage lines and even a backyard graduation party :11: My wife's really happy I've taken up diving...

I started last summer and did 26 jumps. All I needed to do was learn to pack to get my A liscense. Unfortunately in the end of the season rush, I couldn't get a coach to assist me.

The certification course involves 8 jumps with 1 or 2 instructors in which you must demonstrate certain skills that prove that it is safe for you to jump alone. After that you are on solo status. You have to do about 10 coached jumps, demonstrating other skills, and a total of at least 25 jumps to get your A liscence. Once you get your A liscence you are allowed to jump with other people. To get certified you spend a ton of money. A rig costs a ton of money. Once you buy a rig (which I havn't) it costs about $25 a jump. Even at $25 a jump you still spend a ton of money (jumps go pretty quick, and once you're there, might as well do a bunch).

I got certified to scuba dive this spring, and I got so hooked that I havn't found the time or money to go skydiving yet this summer. Reading this thread is making me want to go.

I get paid to jump out of planes. Only difference is, the landings are a bit more rough, I'm wearing 100lbs of gear, and its only takes about 3-5 seconds for the chute to open. Military jumps are way different than the civilian world. I've done two tandem jumps, and they were pretty sweet. But definately out of my price range as a steady hobby

I got certified during military service.

Did the required eight jumps, that's where it ended. :(

One of my scuba students started sky diving at the same time he was taking the scuba class a few years ago, does that count? Last year he was killed in a sky diving accident, I believe he was learning to "swoop" (he had over 500 jumps) and something went wrong. His mom told me she wished he had pursued the scuba diving instead of the sky diving when I spoke to her at the memorial service.
Ber

Sorry to hear, Ber, about your student. I've heard of a number of swoop accidents.

They make a high speed run at the ground, and then divert the energy horizontally and manipulate the canopy to make figures, or slalom between gates. Unfortunately, it can be prone to accidents. Most of the competitions take place over water, to prevent problems, since this is a higher risk activity.

after 375 freefalls my doctor put me into freefall retirement due to back surgery .thats why i went back to scuba diving full force.

Swooping and hook turns is the cause of most skydiver deaths, and they're usually very experience skydivers that screwed up.

Skydiving is all about the act itself, not so much about scenery and the environment. There are great sunsets to watch etc, but primarily you're looking horizontally. It's the jumps you're after.

Weekend after weekend you jump over the same plot of land. Usually near some farm. The scenery below you is pretty bland.

Scuba diving you get vacations along with your dive. So if you add the cost of a few trips a year it might be as expensive as skydiving.

Skydiving is expensive. Make no qualms about it. You will spend over $1000-1500 to get certified. Then you'll spend $20-25 for each jump the rest of your skydiving career.

Your gear will cost you about $4500-5000. You will go through multiple sets. I've gone through 3.

Like scuba diving, skydiving is as safe as YOU make it. It's personal responsibility.

You will know someone that has died skydiving or skydiving related. I am in the double digits. 5-I have personally witnessed. Many more serious injuries.

On average there are about 50 deaths a year due to skydiving. Most of them are experience jumpers doing high speed turns, too low to the ground. The rest are typically equipment failures due to poor personal maintenance of some sort.

You hang out at the DZ on the weekends, drink, bbq over a bonfire at night. You will make some of the closest friends you can imagine.

In the end it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

I skydive. Not so much the last year or two, way too busy doing scuba. Scuba is my real passion though that high from the plane is pretty incredible. I have noticed there are a great many pilots, engineers, and skydivers on this board, hrmmmm.

I've made a few junmps. I'd have to disagree about the cost, I spend waaay more annualy on diving. And I jump a lot.

All the best, James

Attachments

• jamescanopy.jpg
    jamescanopy.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Stairs.jpg
    Stairs.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 29
  • wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 28
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/