Any simple plans for a 12v 7ah can?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kramynot2000

Reaction score
For the past year or so, I've been in the process of building a can light with the mag light head, etc. Anyway, I came upon a great deal on an 18w HID light with a huge AUL cannister. The only thing is that it needs a new battery. I was thinking that instead of buying two of those big 12v 7ah batteries, I'd hook the head up to a small canister with just one of those batteries. So, has anyone found a simple way of doing this?

I tried padipro's way of heating a 4" PVC pipe and stretching it but just could not get that to work. He's much more talented than I am! If there is a source of some PVC or acrylic tube or pipe that will readily fit a standard 12v 7ah SLA battery, please let me know!

Thanks,
Tony

Thanks!

Looks like I can get a 5" tube, but its strange they don't sell a 5" diameter acrylic disc. Anyone know where go get one of those?

Get a sheet of acrylic, trace out the disk and cut it out with a saw.

kramynot2000:
Thanks!

Looks like I can get a 5" tube, but its strange they don't sell a 5" diameter acrylic disc. Anyone know where go get one of those?

What kind of tools do you have available?

Mike

in_cavediver:

Mike

Hand tools basically. Yeah, I do have a reciprocating saw, but again, its the talent to do this. I build motorcycles, I fix old cars (how about a '67 right hand drive British taxi), I reload fairly exotic ammunition, but for some reason, I can't get this *&^%$#$ canister right!

in_cavediver:

Mike

Hand tools basically. Yeah, I do have a reciprocating saw, but again, its the talent to do this. I build motorcycles, I fix old cars (how about a '67 right hand drive British taxi), I reload fairly exotic ammunition, but for some reason, I can't get this *&^%$#$ canister right!

kramynot2000:

It's quite possible to fashion an acryillic end cap from flat stock. I recommend laminatng two thinner sections together to make you end caps. Just be patient and take your time. Mcmaster carr should have what you need.

Mike

It all depends on your budget, but I would go with PVC and forget acrylic. PVC is much cheaper. And there are some great plans for a can on this board.

5" is an oddball size and you don't really need it for anyting but a old heavyweight 14 amp cave light.

you can get two 3 to 4 amp sla batteries in a 4' tube which is a lot cheaper and gives you 6 to 8 amps want more burn make an xtra batttry pack and change between dives still cheaper than a bigger cannister.

Its not that hard to build a nice canister from 4" but if you are in a hurry try one of the instant cannisters from the Airspeed divelite book they take about 1/2 hour and cost about $10 to build plus batteries. I built one for a buddy and it works fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom