Any scuba gear made in the USA??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an IST dolphin tech backplate that says made in USA and a DGX wing with a USA flag tag. Not sure that means made in US......

@tbone1004 some of the lower end zeagle bcds are more than 50% imported and no longer qualify for made in the usa iirc

also, if we are including custom wetsuits like the talon line from henderson, then there are quite a few options in california (JMJ, aquaflite, otter bay, etc)

Scubapro regulators are usually made here in Italy, in their historical factory in Casarza Ligure, near Genoa.
Which model is it?
Regarding products made in China, some are really crap. But remember that China is famous since many centuries for the quality of some products, for example porcelain, silt, and fabric in general.
We started importing them from China since when Marco Polo travelled there around 1300 A.D..
Of consequence I have no specific concern on the quality of a BCD, which is mostly a textile product. Very few countries have the capability of making textile products better than them.
One century ago Italy could compete, particularly with the textile factories around Prato (near Florence).
If you go to Prato now, it seems to be in China. They did buy all the factories, and run them with great success. So most of fabric "made in Italy" is actually really manufactured here, by Chinese workers, Chinese machinery and with a Chinese owner...

The component parts of many products "Made in" Europe, Japan and the Americas often come from China too. So the "Made in Utopia" label is often misleading. "Assembled in" is usually a more accurate descriptor.

I have no problems with the quality or reliability of the Chinese made products that I own. I am also not Xenophobic.

From an economic theory perspective, I believe in "comparative advantage" and that we all benefit from international trade.

Countries which were the "cheap" manufacturing locations 20 or 30 years ago are now considered "Developed" and its too expensive to make consumer products there. They have climbed that ladder and are still prospering.

Henderson's website and ads make it seem like all of their wetsuits are made here.
Henderson’s SAR / SpecOps suits are made in the USA. This is a requirement for certain government contracts. The Talon is a consumer suit made by the same team that makes the wetsuits for government purchase. All other wetsuits are “originally designed and manufactured” in the US, but once they decide on the design, they are manufactured overseas. China is where the few I have were manufactured.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom